Midwest Flooding

My new apartment faces the Cedar River and every day I have been watching the flooding going on around here. The road I take to work will be flooded over sometime Monday and apparently levels may reach those of the Flood of '93. Parts of downtown Des Moines are flooded and Iowa City is starting to sandbag. There are stretches of fields along rivers that have become huge lakes in Eastern Iowa.

The good news is that after the Flood of '93, a lot of cities built earth berms along their rivers so hopefully if we have another 500 year flood it won't be so devastating.

Yuck. I remember the summer of '93. I drove to Vancouver, via Chicago, Minneapolis and South Dakota. My ex-BF and I planned to sleep in the back of my '91 Caprice wagon, except when in major cities. It was raining so hard one afternoon that we had to pit stop in Gilette (who could forget a name like that?) and stay in a hotel.

That was one water-logged cross continent trip.

Yikes, Mustang. Hope you are OK.

We had tornadoes come through southern parts of Chicagoland Saturday night, now severe thunderstorms tonight on the northern part. Weird weather, for sure. No flooding yet, but watches/warnings are out.

Heh...and with some areas of the country dry, you'd think we'd have technology to move the flood waters to those areas in drought.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

Yikes, Mustang. Hope you are OK.

We had tornadoes come through southern parts of Chicagoland Saturday night, now severe thunderstorms tonight on the northern part. Weird weather, for sure. No flooding yet, but watches/warnings are out.

Heh...and with some areas of the country dry, you'd think we'd have technology to move the flood waters to those areas in drought.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

We had a small tornado apparently touch down somewhere north of Cedar Rapids last night. The winds and storms knocked out my power for a good six hours.

Today, the water has started flooding over the road I take to work, so now I have to take an alternate route that is going to add probably 15 minutes onto my commute. They're saying by Wednesday water levels will be 20 feet above flood stage, the highest ever recorded for this area...higher than 1851, 1929, and 1993.