thought provoker

ocnblu: I am intimately familiar with it - it's not my favorite of his, however. I think Nat 'King' Cole could've sung the telephone book and it would have sounded wonderful. My favorite Cole records include "That Sunday, That Summer" (I am in awe of the beauty of that arrangement, his vocal, and the choir); a little-known LP cut, "More and More of Your Amor," "Orange Colored Sky" (the 1961 "Nat King Cole Story" re-recording with Stan Kenton's band); and the version of "Unforgettable" which edited his voice in with his daughter Natalie's. Edited by wildcat

On XPN, the public radio station (which can be found at XPN.org), they play another version of it from time to time. I heard it this morning on the way back from Newark, DE. I forget the dude's name who sings it, but it's probably on par with Mr. Cole's. It's very intriguing and provocative to hear a man sing these lyrics. Edited by ocnblu

For any sentimentalists, here are the basic lyrics to "That Sunday, That Summer," which Nat 'King' Cole sang. They're pretty on their own but if only you could hear the complete recording with his voice + the choir+ the orchestra... absolutely beautiful!

"If I had to choose just one day

To last my whole life through

It would surely be that Sunday

The day that I met you

Newborn whippoorwills were calling from the hills

Summer was a-coming in but fast

Lots of daffodils were showing off their skills

Nodding all together, I could almost hear them whisper

"Go on, kiss her, go on and kiss her"

If I had to choose one moment

To live within my heart

It would be that tender moment

Recalling how we started

Darling, it would be when you smiled at me

That way, that Sunday, that summer"

You may call it being sentimental, I call it a part of life that is very real, the softer, the more caring, the more loving, the more dreaming....it balances out the cares of life....and it's perfectly good. So everyone, get sentimental sometime.

I fought back tears several times yesterday at my brother's wedding. I felt like such a putz. None of the other guys were bawling. I don't think anyone saw me.

Trust me, they all wanted to but don't allow themselves to. You do. And I'm glad. My dad was as macho and a man's man as you can get and yet he was a weeper, he'd tear up at the slightest emotional thing. I like that. That's a real man.