Why I drive GM...

I always have wondered there are folks out there just buying a car because they like/need the car but others have a very different way of looking at it. I am one of those who have a very different way of looking at it. I will start off I drive GM because of the dealership I have that I actually like to deal with. I drive GM because I believe in supporting American compaines. I drive GM becuase I have always had for the most part good luck with there products. I drive GM because they offer a wide variety of products always haveing something that I like and fits my needs and budget. I have driven other cars but always keep coming back to GM because of what they offer, and the value I can get where as with other auto makers you can't. My father always said "Son now promise me your not going to get one of those "Jap" cars." I of course replied no dad, and guess what I have kept my promise to this day and yes he gave the best advice. So why do you drive GM?

Edited by gm4life

Guess.

Seriously, I owned 2 Dodges in the '80s; hated them both. When I bought my '91 Caprice, it was a tank and a comfortable ride. Very, very reliable. When I decided to get into the car biz in '97, although my heart liked the Mopar products, I didn't trust them. I would never EVER EVER sell imports, so it was Ford or GM for me. It just so happened a Chevy store was hiring, and foolish enough to take me. :smilewide: Now, I'm hooked.

I *would* drive GM if they offered the vehicle that best fit my needs for an acceptable price. When I bought the Fusion, there was no GM midsize sedan available with a 4cyl/manual combo. With the Prius, it was a matter of wanting a high mpg car that wasn't a penalty box. GM doesn't offer one of those.

Well, I come from a family that was split between GM and Ford cars as I was growing up (Ford cars on dad's side, GM cars on mom's side). My mom almost always had new GM cars, with the exception of one Ford Granada ('78 or '79 I think); I grew up with and learned to drive on her '83 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ. My dad pretty much bought cheap, used cars for his needs and they were either Fords or Dodges; in '88 my dad decided to go with a Ford Ranger pickup over the Chevy S10 or GMC S15 <_< . I have always liked classic GM vehicles over any other make, and being that my mom's side of the family seemed to get a lot of new GM cars (my uncle was into leasing), I liked what they always had. By the late '80s my love for GM cars & trucks began.

GM's rich history and their innovations and technologies always intrigued me. Starting in the late '80s, GMs misfotunates and the changing marketplace have not allowed GM to be on the forefront anymore, but the value you receive for petty much dependable and reliable products is what makes mego back. Helping local dealers that help a domestic corporation is a big plus for me too. The fact that I've only had minor issues to deal with rarely in my ownership of nothing but GM vehicles has proven to me that GM offers quality product.

Just recently my wife considered other manufacturers (Ford, Volvo, Nissan) for her new car needs, but the value she received in a product that she loves (Pontiac G6) made it the deal she went with and we stayed with GM again.

As for me, I know I'll look only within GM when my AURA lease expires 17 months from no (Nov '09). Hopefully if new innovation combined with fuel efficiency measures allows it, I'll be driving a new GMC pickup at that time.

The only reason I currently have a GM vehicle is the GM Card, which I don't plan to use again because there are better credit card rewards programs. I'm eligible for the GMS employee discount, but unless GM has something compelling for my needs next time, I don't know that I'll ever use that either. My next vehicle will probably be a minivan or small hybrid commuter vehicle, and there's a small chance that the Volt will fill that need, but the price will probably be a problem.

GM is my favorite automaker, but it has been painful to watch them the last 30 years. I haven't given up hope, but things are not looking up.

The only reason I currently have a GM vehicle is the GM Card, which I don't plan to use again because there are better credit card rewards programs. I'm eligible for the GMS employee discount, but unless GM has something compelling for my needs next time, I don't know that I'll ever use that either. My next vehicle will probably be a minivan or small hybrid commuter vehicle, and there's a small chance that the Volt will fill that need, but the price will probably be a problem.

GM is my favorite automaker, but it has been painful to watch them the last 30 years. I haven't given up hope, but things are not looking up.

Hang in there. There is both a minivan and two small cars coming in the next year that will be very, very enticing. :AH-HA_wink:

:yes::)

Support an American company (keep my dad working).

Never had any issues (big ones) with any GM product that I have owned...

Good value for the money.....

Like the look of their cars help too.... :thumbsup:

Dave I couldn't agree more!

Supporting the home team and like the looks. I've had problems with the Cobalt and Camaro, so I can't say I stay with GM for the lack of problems because if that were true I'd be jumping ship. But I'm in it for the home team and I like GM's vehicles much more than Chrysler's and Ford's.

I have an affection for General Motors......but I'll never buy a car from them to "just" support GM, nor will I do it to "just" buy American.....

A car purchase/lease is WAY too big of an outlay of money to make a decision solely on emotion for a corporation. The vehicle HAS to fit my needs and I HAVE to be excited about living with it.

I bought the CTS because it was different than the "3-Series" and "C-Class" norm in SoCal....and I could still get a manual tranny in that type of car.

My CTS has been a great example......98% trouble-free (except for &#036;h&#33;ty gas mileage) and it's still tight as a drum. Will I get another CTS 6-speed manual when my lease is up in 2 years?

Well, I'll be tempted by a CTS Coupe.....but GM is gonna HAVE to fix the sloppiness in the shifter and the clutch action and the "moaning" of the engine (all reported in C&D's comparo) before I choose CTS again over Audi or BMW. The unfortunate part is, you can't find a CTS with the 6-speed manual in stock anywhere.....so if I chose to take a chance with it, I'm gonna have to live with it....however it ends up driving.

(Edit: My '07 CTS does the exact same thing as the '08. In mine, the shifter is smooth and the clutch action is just fine....but if you rev it up in the lower gears and lift off the throttle and depress the clutch to shift, the engine moans and hangs onto revs....it's nowhere near as fluid or smooth to drive fast or in an aggressive manor as the Audi I have or the BMWs I had.....in those cars, you lift the gas and dip the clutch, and the revs drop IMMEDIATELY......)

On the other hand....I know how stick-shift Audis and BMWs drive.....

-_-

Edited by The O.C.

Why do I drive a GM?

I enjoy GM styling better than the other automakers.

Both parents were GM owners. Dad has had several older Impalas, including a '58 convertible...as well as a '55 convertible with the continental kit. Mom's parents always had Chevys, too.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My heart is like an open highway" ... BonJovi ... 'It's My Life'