Euro-sourced Astra Dead?

Link

Apologies if its been already posted.

Basically the article states that Holden will drop the Euro-sourced Astra and move to a Korean-sourced replacement in a two-tier line up. The range will be based on the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze (Chevy Cobalt/Chevrolet Lacetti replacement)/Daewoo Nubira.

1st tier will be a lower-range spec along the same lines as the current Viva (Daweoo Nubira/Chevrolet Lacetti), 2nd tier will be further up-sec, different suspension and drivetrains and will be similar to what Holden has done with the Holden Captiva/ Captiva MaXX (Opel Antara).

Holden has local input in the design process as well.

Fingers crossed this is speculation but with GM needing to make a profit worldwide out of small cars and the Aussie dollar making the profit margin on the Euro Astra small, I think this may well come to pass.

Guest aatbloke

Highly likely. The Corsa C-derived Barina was dropped in favour of a Kalos/Aveo-derived Barina instead, with GM-DAT-sourced Lacetti rebadges also brought in (called Viva) at the same time running alongside the Astra. Later the GM-DAT Epica was also brought in to replace the Vectra, so my guess is the Cruze will spawn a Holden variant to replace the Astra as well.

The Captiva/Winstorm and Captiva Maxx/Antara are Korea-sourced worldwide with the exception of the North American market (Vue) versions of the Maxx/Antara.

The Corsa C-based Combo van is still imported into Australasia.

Edited by aatbloke

Highly likely. The Corsa C-derived Barina was dropped in favour of a Kalos/Aveo-derived Barina instead, with GM-DAT-sourced Lacetti rebadges also brought in (called Viva) at the same time running alongside the Astra. Later the GM-DAT Epica was also brought in to replace the Vectra, so my guess is the Cruze will spawn a Holden variant to replace the Astra as well.

The Captiva/Winstorm and Captiva Maxx/Antara are Korea-sourced worldwide with the exception of the North American market (Vue) versions of the Maxx/Antara.

The Corsa C-based Combo van is still imported into Australasia.

Exactly.

I dare say this'll happen. I'm on a local Opel forum and they aren't happy about it at all, however Holden needs to maximise profits locally and the Korean-sourced gear generates more profit per unit due to lower cost than the Euro-sourced gear.

What will be interesting is if Holden decide to dump the Astra nameplate with the new vehicle or chooses to carry on with it. I'd say they'll do the latter to keep heritage of the name, however, the Barina has suffered from a mixed reception due to its current origins. However, the market has seemingly gotten past that and Holden execs have remarked that they'd sell more Barina's if they could. Its also just had a minor re-style and upgrade:

b_cars.152442.1.jpg

I'm really not a fan of anything Daewoo, so I don't care for this news. Given Holden's ability to make silk purses out of sow's ears, maybe having them control GMDAT isn't that bad of a situation.

Now I understand the Opel/Holden feud. Opel wants Holden to be an outlet for its cars, and Holden is instead choosing to develop them "in house" (albeit with South Korean hardware).

I'm really not a fan of anything Daewoo, so I don't care for this news. Given Holden's ability to make silk purses out of sow's ears, maybe having them control GMDAT isn't that bad of a situation.

Now I understand the Opel/Holden feud. Opel wants Holden to be an outlet for its cars, and Holden is instead choosing to develop them "in house" (albeit with South Korean hardware).

But you have forgot about Global GM. The next Astra and the Cruze are on Delta II, so GM will be able to make Astra for Holden in South Korea instead of Europe. So don't put too much stock into this article.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

But you have forgot about Global GM. The next Astra and the Cruze are on Delta II, so GM will be able to make Astra for Holden in South Korea instead of Europe. So don't put too much stock into this article.

Thats pretty much the point I think as well.

I'm sure Holden would love to keep bringing in the Euro Astra but the exchange rates are pretty tight and Holden is under pressure from Detroit to maximize profits. As much as a I don't like it, a Korean-Astra makes sense financially, especially as Holden has design input in the GMDAT offices in Seoul and significant local input (lets not forget that the Captiva was partially Holden designed) into the coming Korean product.

Here's an interesting aside.

A recent poll asked consumers if they though all of Holden's cars we're made locally - over 60% of respondents thought they were!

Here's an interesting aside.

A recent poll asked consumers if they though all of Holden's cars we're made locally - over 60% of respondents thought they were!

Americans probably think the same thing about Hondas and Toyotas as far as being made in US..

Guest aatbloke
There is another option—source the Astra from South Africa, as Ford and Toyota and BMW and Mercedes do for their Australian small cars.

GM, VAG and BMW also source South African products for Europe.