It's Electrifying!

VenSeattle

It's Electrifying!
Chrysler to Show Dealers Three EVs with Production in Mind

Posted Sep 3rd 2008 12:31PM AutoBlog
Link to Article

While everyone is aware of what GM, Honda and Toyota have been up to when it comes to fuel-saving technology, Chrysler has been playing it close to the chest. The Auburn Hills-based automaker, however, will show its dealers three new all-electric cars at the end of this month that are said to be production capable. Jim Press, the Chrysler exec who came from rival and current hybrid-leader Toyota, added that Chrysler's future platforms were being designed with electrification in mind and that is still has access to technology from its previous owner, Daimler.

Like General Motors, Chrysler seems convinced that its EVs need to have plug-in capability. The goal, says Press, is 300 miles of range. To make that a reality, a very good set of batteries will be necessary – likely lithium-ions – and Press assures us that his company is working with multiple suppliers. Will any of the production-ready models be anything like the concepts shown off last year in Detroit? We'll see...

I don't know if Chrysler has the money or the balls, but it would be beyond funny if they beat GM at their own PR game. Just claim a range, cost and volume is no object, and then advertise the heck out of it.

Chrysler has just leap-frogged GM technologically. The Volt is still years from production and it is already virtually medieval.

(I'd put "sarcasm" tags around that last paragraph, but for some reason it wasn't sarcasm when the same claim was made about Toyota/GM.)

I don't know if Chrysler has the money or the balls, but it would be beyond funny if they beat GM at their own PR game. Just claim a range, cost and volume is no object, and then advertise the heck out of it.

Chrysler has just leap-frogged GM technologically. The Volt is still years from production and it is already virtually medieval.

(I'd put "sarcasm" tags around that last paragraph, but for some reason it wasn't sarcasm when the same claim was made about Toyota/GM.)

Chrysler has proven to the world many times that they have the balls.

Thanks for posting this Ven, I saw it on allpar several days ago but lost the link to post the story here.

well, let's see here...

GM described their proposed system in great detail.

Chrysler has shown some pictures of a flashy car, and unless there is substantially more information elsewhere, given zero details about the system, and haven't said they can or will make 300 miles, but just said it's a goal. Also, while the Volt compared to the non plug in prius is apples to oranges, a 300 mile electric car is apples to trout compared to a parallel hybrid like the Volt. Very different vehicles with very different pros and cons. The parallel hybrid makes more sense as a primary vehicle, while the EV really only makes sense at this point for a dedicated commuter and local runabout. It has the potential to be a hit, but for a different purpose.

Don't get all crappy just because you've been uber-skeptical the whole time and so far GM has shown relatively little deviation from their original statements/goals. Yes, the projected initial price has gone up. Yes, the projected initial production volume has gone down. Yes, we know you like to bitch & moan that they said it'd be here for '10 and now (last I knew) it's supposed to be here in late '10 as an '11 model. Whoopidie doo, welcome to new technology. You're right though - Chrysler is possibly doing better at the PR game - by promising little, they can deliver whatever, whenever the heck they get around to it.