Anyone with knowledge of a 66 Olds 425?

hey guys, just wondering maybe some of you guys can give me some advice.,,,, theres a guy locally who is seling a 68 4 door chevelle for dirt cheap, but unfortunatley i cant take on a third car. what i am interested in however, is the 66 olds 425 thats in the car, that if i looked up correctly, makes around high 300 HP, and gobs and gobs of torque.... ive been talking to the guy over email, but hopefully im going to see the car tomorrow....he is willing to seperate the motor/tranny from the car for $500.....

anything to look out foor specifically on these motors? i read they didnt have hardened valve seats, so im gonna find out if theyve been replaced, as long as anyother work done to the motor, i just dont know so much about olds motors.

the thing is, im not even sure what i would def do with the motor.... part of me says throw it in the DD cutlass, but besides the fact that ill drop my mpg figures a bit, my bone stock 200-4r and 7.5" rear wont be friendly with the torque of an olds big block....

heres my lil day dream... ive seen it once before... olds big block in a Nova. i am already building a rear that is going to be enough for the motor, plus future plans, and i was planning to do a tranny (mines slipping real bad) so why not just throw a BB in? ive heard its pretty easy...

im crazy

Unless you are planning regular trips to hammer on the motor at the strip under WOT, OR if the engine is an extremely low-miles motor, there is usually enough accumulated lead on the exhaust seats that the motor will go well past 100K with no issues. Of course, if you are rebuilding it, go ahead & have seats installed.

IIRC, one year of the 425 had circa 375 HP.

its a 66, i think he said it stock was rated at 375 hp, and some insane torque number, and im thinking of what that could do in my 3000 lb nova..... dare to be different?

If you go that route, be aware that you will need the trans as well (the bolt patterns are different. Likely, you will also need to modify/relocate your crossmember and have the driveshaft re-yoked and possibly shortened/ lengthened. Then there would be the issues of motor mounts and a bigger radiator...

Lots of work when you could just bolt in a 454 from a truck.

Now if you had an old Cutlass of similar vintage with a tired 330...

i dont know what extenxt to which modifications were done ,but i think he said he had basics like a cam and intake and such.... on the tranny route, im thinking either the one he has with the car (he may sell for a package deal) or a 200-4r i have lying around.... and a 200 is the same case size as my TH350 so thats easy.... on the radiator front, im thinking of the Be Cool i can get through work for cheap, i found a set of ceramic coated olds headers that will fit, and i was told motor mounts are that difficult, though i havent looked too much into it.... i think im going to see the car tomorrow, and the 4 door chevelle its in weighs more then my nova, so we'll see how well it runs/hauls ass.... its one of those things where, id like to just go against the tide abit.... but still make my car raceable..... i know olds parts are a bit scarcer than chevy parts, and the after market is smaller, but its cool to open your hood and make people go (wtf?) .... like my friend who wants to put a 409 in a 70 chevelle...

i dont know what extenxt to which modifications were done ,but i think he said he had basics like a cam and intake and such.... on the tranny route, im thinking either the one he has with the car (he may sell for a package deal) or a 200-4r i have lying around.... and a 200 is the same case size as my TH350 so thats easy.... on the radiator front, im thinking of the Be Cool i can get through work for cheap, i found a set of ceramic coated olds headers that will fit, and i was told motor mounts are that difficult, though i havent looked too much into it.... i think im going to see the car tomorrow, and the 4 door chevelle its in weighs more then my nova, so we'll see how well it runs/hauls ass.... its one of those things where, id like to just go against the tide abit.... but still make my car raceable..... i know olds parts are a bit scarcer than chevy parts, and the after market is smaller, but its cool to open your hood and make people go (wtf?) .... like my friend who wants to put a 409 in a 70 chevelle...

Hey, if you want to go that route - more power to you!

A 409 '70 Chevelle would be quite cool. Sounds like something I might do (I like staying within brand).