Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car and Driver -- Solstice V. MX-5

pow

The mazda looks so-ooo dated. The untrimmed headlights look like those cheap-o autopart store headlight 'masks' that 'change' the shape of the lense by double-side taping over the factory units. Add to that the reguritated design & monochromatic look (windshield frame & door handles) and it's certainly not much to look at. Interesting how the Pontiac's lows are low luggage room (:rolleyes: duh), is comparitively heavy (via the spec sheet but not on-the-road feel), and the engine is slightly, comparitively unrefined. The mazda's lows are a drab interior, noisy ride and twitchy handling, yet it placed #1. Interesting indeed.....

The Miata's probably the better driver simply because it weighs 400 lbs less. The Solstice looks 100x better though, and I'm guessing will outsell the Miata. The Miata's interior also sounds like it has slightly better materials from what I've read, but again I think the Solstice's interior design is much more inspired. MT picked the Miata too and the Z06 over the SRT-10. Then they didn't have the balls to pick a winner in the Z06 vs. GT matchup but basically said they'd take the GT just on exclusitivity. I'm waiting for Solstice GXP vs. Mazdaspeed MX-5. Should be a good battle, though I think the Solstice may win because it probably won't lose in every performance category like the base one.

Interesting how the Pontiac's lows are low luggage room ( duh), is comparitively heavy (via the spec sheet but not on-the-road feel), and the engine is slightly, comparitively unrefined. The mazda's lows are a drab interior, noisy ride and twitchy handling, yet it placed #1. Interesting indeed.....

But of course!!! They no longer HAVE to justify a winner, it's IMPLIED that the import (eventhough a Mazda really isn't) is automatically the winner and they can back that up with 'subjective' lies.

I'd just like to point out that the "disclaimer" I talked about in relation to the first Solstice vs. Miata article, in this thread: Car and Driver sucks HAS been enacted

Have a nice day! :)

And yet another EXCELLENT GM offering will be tarnished into failure by the media! GM will NEVER make a car better than the imports, period. (At least according to what you'll be told) Accept it. Edmunds; Miata wins, Motor Trend; Miata wins, Car and Driver; Miata wins... and on and on and on...

I'm waiting for Solstice GXP vs. Mazdaspeed MX-5. Should be a good battle, though I think the Solstice may win because it probably won't lose in every performance category like the base one.

[post="37455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think so, too... the MX-5 is better at being an MX-5 than the Solstice. It fits the definition of a proper, pure roadster better than the Solstice, which is more of a hard-core sports car with a tame engine. Once the GXP comes out, I have a feeling it'll give Z4s and SLKs a serious run for the money, let alone a MX-5.

Won't there be a Mazdaspeed MX-5 with a turbo though? If it has 210HP or so it could still run with a Solstice GXP at least somewhat competitively even if the Solstice had 250HP because of the weight difference.

[post="37476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well hopefully GM will decide to give it the 325hp turbocharged version instead.