1993 Buick Regal Custom

So, the Buick won't idle or run.

I'll fire it up and it'll idle for a split second, then it starts running real rough and usually dies unless I give it more gas. It's almost like it has 'jumped time' but I know that's impossible since it doesn't possess a timing chain.

Any ideas?

I changed the fuel filter hoping that would be a cheap and easy fix. I know it probably needs a set of plugs and wires but I don't think that alone would cause it to completely crap out.

Other thoughts I've had: 1) fuel pump (But the fuel pump sounds fine) 2) catalytic converter 3) O2 sensor (It has been flashing a code since we bought it.) 4) EGR valve (If I'm not mistaken, this will cause a code as well, right?)

Someone even told me that the cams are really bad to wear out on these cars. But it only has 80,000 miles, so I highly doubt it's the cam.

fuel sending unit/pump relay something?? my sister's GA has problems, we've just learned to give it some gas after starting, but this is only a start up problem, once the unit is on it'll stay on... supposedly had the same problem with our 91 rs camaro, at least my dad thinks so, i don't remember it.

Here's my reasoning for thinking clogged cat.

Check Engine lights are almost always emissions related.

You say it's been on for a while which could mean a problem with the system that has been causing the Cat to slowly die

rough idle and only being able to maintain power while keeping your foot on it...

It's likely that if it is the Cat you'll need a new O2 sensor and possibly an EGR. I had a clogged cat on my Cutlass and it blew the EGR valve clear off the top of the engine.

Here's my reasoning for thinking clogged cat.

Check Engine lights are almost always emissions related.

You say it's been on for a while which could mean a problem with the system that has been causing the Cat to slowly die

rough idle and only being able to maintain power while keeping your foot on it...

It's likely that if it is the Cat you'll need a new O2 sensor and possibly an EGR. I had a clogged cat on my Cutlass and it blew the EGR valve clear off the top of the engine.

I was thing the same thing...

Yup.... clogged cat would make sense.... also: MAF?

• 3 weeks later...

First question I ask, what is the code, have you checked it? Second question is do you get a rotten egg smell from the exhaust when the vehicle is idling? If you do then I'd have to agree with almost everyone else about a clogged catalytic converter. As far as the idling issue, it could be and idle air control valve not keeping the thottle open enough until the engine reaches operating temperature or a throttle position sensor not telling the PCM where the throttle is at idle, which throws the injector pulse width off and all in all, makes the engine run crappy. Could be an O2 sensor problem, but I'd say that it would be more noticable once the engine is warmed up and in "closed loop" (taking actual values from the sensors to control fuel/air ratio and timing) instead of at initial crank up. You could also have a problem with the timing because the engine does in fact have at timing chain. The issue with cam wear occurs at the thrust washer made into the end of the timing cover, which allows the camshaft to have a lot of run-out (in and out play) causing problems with the camshaft position sensor (which would screw up the fuel injector pulse length and timing) and could possibly cause the engine to run rough, however; this problem would more than likely get worse as you increased engine rpm. Another thing is that it is unlikely that there is a problem with the fuel pump since the enigne seems to run just fine off-idle instead of getting worse (fuel pressure is supposed to increase as you get into the throttle more, thereby making the fuel pump work harder), so I'd feel somewhat safe saying that the fuel pump is making proper pressure and volume. An EGR valve stuck in the open position could allow the engine to run like you're saying since the EGR valve recirculates exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, diluting the fuel/air mixture (also cooling down combustion temps), easy fix with it would be to pull the EGR valve off the engine, get a can of carb cleaner and spray the valve and its passageways out really well to try to clean any carbon build-up out of there. Also if the vehicle has a vacuum operated valve (which I think that your '93 has an electronic valve), I'd check your vacuum supply lines. Other than these things that I've named, you could always have problem with a ground wire somewhere making it run funky.

By all means, if you've got any more questions, please feel free to ask me, I'll be glad to help out where I can....

Also sorry about the long post, it just all came to me at once.

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker