Should Buick get a convertible?

buickguy

With the problems with the Pontiac g-6, and the Saab 9-3 convertible selling so poorly, should GM spread their reach and rebadge one of those as a Buick? Buick is the only GM car line without a convertible, and doesn't GM owe Buick customers and loyalists a convertible after teasing us with the Velite? I mean if they can rebadge the Terrazza and Rainer...

Something like Terraza, IMO, is actually not so bad. Yeah, no one likes minivans and, yeah, most people don't like the CSVs, but there is a market for a classy, high-trimmed minivan. I've personally seen far more Terrazas than Relays and almost as many as Uplanders and SV6s combined around here. And while a good number of the Chevy and Pontiac vans are rentals, a good number of the Buicks are not.

Its not the most innovative van, but it certainly has its place. I know someone who actually traded a T&C for a Terraza because of that reason - he valued comfort for all his passengers over maximization of every inch of cargo volume. I'm sure he's not alone.

Rainier, on the other hand, is a total waste of time. No one knows about it and furthermore, no one cares. Simply making up the extra capacity after Bravada was dropped.

As far as a straight G6 'vert rebadge, I'm not in favor of it. Apparently, this thing is plagued with issues...Pontiac can frankly take it and deal with it; Buick shouldn't have to.

A 2dr convertible based off the Lucerne (w/ different styling, maybe called Riviera) could be interesting for Buick (and a relatively low investment by using an existing platform). A largish, luxury, 4-passenger V8 convertible would make a nice Buick flagship..

It can be left as a 4 door, but I like the idea. Lucerne Ceilo (sp?) with the sectioned retractable roof/rear window. They did it on the old W-Body as a demo (Regal), so maybe they could do it on the LaCrosse, too? That'd be interesting. Edited by nightwave

I think the best way to get a convertible would be to spread the costs with a future RWD Buick sedan. Once the Camaro and Chevy RWD sedan come, the gates should be opened for a Pontiac sedan and new GTO and a Buick sedan and Velite-like convertible, assuming the Chevys do well and make money. I don't think Buick necessarily needs a convertible to change their image, all they really need is a couple knock-out vehicles.