The the "parts" people...(or anybody)

Within the next few months, I plan to do some "update" work on my cars...

Her Cavalier will be getting new Shocks/Struts, Brakes/Rotors, and new tires.....

I've been debating about going with GM (dealership) parts, or more aftermarket ones.

I'm really looking for stuff that is going to last, and I have been disappointed in how long the car's current stuff is holding up....

- Both struts and shocks are pretty rough for 45k

-this will be the second pad/rotors in 40k (though it is common for the 03-05s)

Should I stick with the same, or change?

i replaced my stock pads and rotors on my g5 which were shot at 30k miles with Duralast Gold parts from AutoZone....30k miles later and the only thing i had to do was recut the rotors cuz i drive like a maniac....oh and theres almost no brake dust anymore which was a major problem with the OEM ones...total cost was 250 for parts and i did the installation which was easy as hell

The $15/ea. Chinese front rotors for the J,L, and N bodies actually seem to resist warpage better than the $100/ea. GM ones. The "Genuine GM" pads are good and very quiet but are also $$. You often do not even get these even during a customer pay dealer brake job, since ACDelco Durastop parts (by Raybestos) keep the price much more competitive. Good name brand aftermarkets (Raybestos/ACDelco, Akebono, EBC, Wagner, etc.) will be just as good for less $. KYB is probably the best upgrade for struts/shocks, but Monroe or NAPA's Sensa-Trac dampers aren't too bad either.

KYB (the GR2 dampers at least) are often just a tad firmer, but it will not instantly turn a base FE1 suspension into an FE3 ride or anything like that.

NAPA is actually Tenneco/Monroe product and would be ~ a stock ride, their Sensatrac struts/shocks are quite good and even the cheaper ones will get the job done just fine.

Edited by fightingbee

because it will be cheaper, and if you get the right brand, it will be just as good if not better quality. Apparently the brands you bought aren't so good. Time to look into what is.

Oh, it is not the brands-they came brand new with the car. :P

I'm just not inpressed on how the GM parts held up....so I have been looking into the after market.

I is just a matter of knowing what brands come from where- and getting good, long lasting parts for her car......

KYB (the GR2 dampers at least) are often just a tad firmer, but it will not instantly turn a base FE1 suspension into an FE3 ride or anything like that.

NAPA is actually Tenneco/Monroe product and would be ~ a stock ride, their Sensatrac struts/shocks are quite good and even the cheaper ones will get the job done just fine.

I've had good and bad luck with Sensatracs...

They were great on my first cavalier, but sucked pretty bad on the Neon....

I wonder hoe the sensatrac would compare with the KYBs....

Actually GM uses KYB struts stock on a lot of their rides. KYB is actually the leading manufacturer of OE shocks and struts for almost everyone. As far as brake pads, just go with someone of good quality, and with the pads, you typicallyl get what you pay for. If you buy the $8.99 set of pads, then expect noise, dust, etc. Overall, I'd go with either Akebono, or Raybestos for the pads considering those are the two leading OE pad producers. As far as Monroe is concerned, I'm none too impressed with Sensa-trac, especially if you've seen the inside of one. All they do is make the oil flow tubes in the shock bigger so that more oil flows around in the shock/strut giving it the ride quality, but it also means that there is a bigger chance that said oil can get aerated (sp?) and cause the shock/strut to go soft. My personal recommendation will be either a OE-quality set of pads from a good parts store NAPA, or CarQuest comes to mind, and a good set of KYB struts and you should be set.

Actually GM uses KYB struts stock on a lot of their rides.

I know the S-Series Saturns had factory KYB. I didn't know if many others did. The Cav prolly had Delphi units which I would say are still a bit Monroe-like softer by comparison, especially at the front.

CarQuest pads are Raybestos product IIRC, so they would be a good choice also.

I know the S-Series Saturns had factory KYB. I didn't know if many others did. The Cav prolly had Delphi units which I would say are still a bit Monroe-like softer by comparison, especially at the front.

I wonder what years had em?

What other pads are made by Raybestos? I don't have any Carquests im my area...

I do have NAPA, Autozone, Advance, and Murray's........

Actually GM uses KYB struts stock on a lot of their rides. KYB is actually the leading manufacturer of OE shocks and struts for almost everyone. As far as brake pads, just go with someone of good quality, and with the pads, you typicallyl get what you pay for. If you buy the $8.99 set of pads, then expect noise, dust, etc. Overall, I'd go with either Akebono, or Raybestos for the pads considering those are the two leading OE pad producers. As far as Monroe is concerned, I'm none too impressed with Sensa-trac, especially if you've seen the inside of one. All they do is make the oil flow tubes in the shock bigger so that more oil flows around in the shock/strut giving it the ride quality, but it also means that there is a bigger chance that said oil can get aerated (sp?) and cause the shock/strut to go soft. My personal recommendation will be either a OE-quality set of pads from a good parts store NAPA, or CarQuest comes to mind, and a good set of KYB struts and you should be set.

I wonder if that is for the "sportier" version of their cars/trucks.....

That could explain why the Sensatracs went on the Neon....

It could possibly be, I know that most of our DCX rides that come in at my job have KYB's on them from the getgo (I work at a DCX dealership in the service department and I used to work at CarQuest), and I know that GM uses them as an OE part on some vehicles, which ones I can't say for sure, but I know that they use 'em. As far as brake pad manufacturers, Raybestos makes brakes for a number of people, even Napa, I believe, or they're pads are made by Wagner (another majority OE brake supplier), either of which are a good choice.

Yup, and they are generally the most highly recommended replacement strut for the S-Series as well. Just seem to hold up well, and aren't too soft.

I like my hawk brake pads. :D

How good are the Hawks?

So far so good. Actually, I have hawks up front & duralast gold in the rear. Been installed for... 6 mo? along with new rotors (and stainless brake lines and new fluid), and they still brake hard & smooth. That includes 3 days of autocross and some long trips, as well as general running around town & such.

So far so good. Actually, I have hawks up front & duralast gold in the rear. Been installed for... 6 mo? along with new rotors (and stainless brake lines and new fluid), and they still brake hard & smooth. That includes 3 days of autocross and some long trips, as well as general running around town & such.

Auto X? Nice.......

I hear the Hawks are good stuff.....the Duralast gold holding up as well?

Auto X? Nice.......

I hear the Hawks are good stuff.....the Duralast gold holding up as well?

So far so good, though they are in the rear, so they don't do nearly the work the hawks do.

Autox has been fun, though I'm still on all-seasons, so I'm not really at all competitive.

It's a blast, even if you aren't ready to really compete. Just getting out there & being able to really throw the car around & only worry about hitting a cone or having a bad time for the run is great fun. If you just go to have fun & not get overly serious about trying to be competitive, it can be really inexpensive, too. Of course, if you DO start trying to be competitive, it can get expensive quick. lol

It's a blast, even if you aren't ready to really compete. Just getting out there & being able to really throw the car around & only worry about hitting a cone or having a bad time for the run is great fun. If you just go to have fun & not get overly serious about trying to be competitive, it can be really inexpensive, too. Of course, if you DO start trying to be competitive, it can get expensive quick. lol

Which Saturn is in there right now? The 99?

Sweet! Got any pics of it?

The SCs seem to do well around here...

Doesn't really look like much, needs new paint.

20nnaf2ccgz766wcfh4p.jpg

Didn't do too well being new at it, and being on all-seasons, either. Hope to be back with a vengeance & better tires (and lighter wheels) come spring. :)