Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cubical-aka-Moltar

Subaru design trivia

9 posts in this topic

Happened to think of this one today..what design feature do most Subaru 4dr sedans and wagons have that is shared with some '70s Ford and GM models?

Name the feature and what Ford and GM models had that feature.

Edited by moltar

frameless glass?

hill hold?

Yes, the frameless door glass w/ a B-pillar. Fairly uncommon on 4dr sedans and wagons. I can think of the '73-77 GM A-bodies, '73-78 Ford and Mercury full sizers (Galaxie, LTD, Monterey, etc), '72-79 Ford and Mercury mid sizers (Torino, Montego, LTDII, Cougar) and the '61-79 Lincoln Continental sedans.. can't think of any others right off, I'm sure there are some.

Edited by moltar

subaru has a design history of any sorts ?? New one on me.

Cadillac Series 60 Specials were the same way, at least '65 thru '76.

Edited by balthazar

Frameless side glass on a non-hardtop, BTW.

Numerous models had this, one would be the '73-75 Grand Am sedan (coupe was the same way).

Lots of coupes have had them (like any '70+ F-body or the current Mustang, BMW 3 series, etc),

but on 4drs and wagons, I could only think of the ones I listed...

First gen Olds Aurora also.

As far as import models, IIRC, the first couple generations of Lexus ESes were like this also. As is the Mercedes CLS.

Edited by moltar

Assumedly, there were other '73-77 GM intermediate sedans built in the same style as the GA.

I had to update my earlier post, so I added in the Fleetwood S60S (see above).

Assumedly, there were other '73-77 GM intermediate sedans built in the same style as the GA.

I had to update my earlier post, so I added in the Fleetwood S60S (see above).

That's why I said GM '73-77 A-bodies...if I'm not mistaken, all of them were like that (Chevelle, Century, etc). I did forget the Fleetwood..those were cool, esp. the '71-72 that had also had a unique design feature not seen since the '50s or so.

Yea; while I was farting around on google looking for a S60S pic with the door open, post #2 & 3 appeared - I missed your mention of that.

I always disliked the S60S because as a top-line sedan, it should've been a hardtop. The roof treatment was unique, tho.

Yea; while I was farting around on google looking for a S60S pic with the door open, post #2 & 3 appeared - I missed your mention of that.

I always disliked the S60S because as a top-line sedan, it should've been a hardtop. The roof treatment was unique, tho.

The '71-72 Sixty Special was unusual in that it had an exposed B-pillar between the doors like old cars did in '30-40s (lengthened the wheelbase relative to the deVille but not the doors?--deVille/etc was 130, Sixty Special was 133 or something like that)... in '73, they must have lengthened the front edge of the rear door to go over the B-pillar..

53218295_pr.jpg

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0