LaSorda says Chrysler won't sell individual brands like Jeep

Responding to word that Chrysler may begin selling off assets and brands soon, Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Tom LaSorda admitted that while the automaker is keen to consider parting with "non-earning assets" or assets that "may be coming due,'" Chrysler "...will not separate the brands from the company." That means that among other things, the struggling automaker may sell tooling for previous-generation vehicles or those on the way out, but it will not part with plants or nameplates.

In a post on Chrysler's Firehouse media blog, LaSorda is quoted as saying "What was reported that we're in discussions to sell the Jeep brand is absolutely false... we will not separate the brands from the company." In particular, Jeep has been the subject of sale rumors as of late, as most analysts figure it is the company's most valuable nameplate. According to LaSorda, the federal aid package that Chrysler recently signed on for means that no assets can be sold without the approval of the 'car czar" anyway. Click through to the jump to read Chrysler's full blog statement.

PRESS RELEASE:

Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Tom LaSorda on Wednesday strongly denied reports and rumors that the company is in discussions to sell its Jeep brand, any manufacturing plants or the tooling for an existing vehicle.

"What was reported that we're in discussions to sell the Jeep brand is absolutely false," Lasorda told reporters on a conference call Wednesday morning.. "We will not separate the brands from the company."

He said that the company has said for more than a year that it will sell non-earning assets, or assets that "may be coming due." Chrysler has had discussions about selling the tooling of previous generation vehicles, or vehicles that are discontinued. But reports that the company would sell one of its manufacturing plants are untrue, and don't make any sense.

"If we were to sell any assets, and if you looked at the loan agreement, the loan agreement would not allow us to do that without going through the 'car czar'," he added.

LaSorda also addressed rumors regarding deals with specific companies, such as Magna International Inc. or the automotive partners Nissan and Renault.

Source:s Autoblog, Chrysler

It's not like it hasn't been done before. Chrysler sold the tooling for the last generation Sebring/Stratus to GAZ

csp_Siber_10.jpg

csp_Siber_11.jpg

Funny thing is that it still looks pretty modern and far better looking than the current Sebring. Plus I'm sure this is a big step up from what Russian carmakers normally produce.

Proof that the last gen cars were designed to age well.

It's not like it hasn't been done before. Chrysler sold the tooling for the last generation Sebring/Stratus to GAZ

Funny thing is that it still looks pretty modern and far better looking than the current Sebring. Plus I'm sure this is a big step up from what Russian carmakers normally produce.

Probably more reliable being built by GAZ than the current Sebring/Stratus, as well.

Ehhh...I'm not saying the design hasn't aged well, but there is very little "modern" about cab-forward jellybean cars. I'd never mistake that design for a new one.

Ehhh...I'm not saying the design hasn't aged well, but there is very little "modern" about cab-forward jellybean cars. I'd never mistake that design for a new one.

What is the MOST modern design trend in your opinion?

The cab forward "Jellybean" look has been around what, 15ish years?

The alternative is what? Most GM sedans are a conventionally laid out vehicle are they not? Same layout that has been around for decades and decades...

?

What is the MOST modern design trend in your opinion?

The cab forward "Jellybean" look has been around what, 15ish years?

The alternative is what? Most GM sedans are a conventionally laid out vehicle are they not? Same layout that has been around for decades and decades...

?

Well, the "jellybean" aspect is the least modern. The most modern designs, especially of this decade, have been more angular and stronger-looking. Thicker C-pillars, more upright front ends. This design hasn't aged poorly, but it's just too "soft"-looking to ever be confused as a brand new design.

Well they would get bloated. The Pilot already looks like a fat Liberty with braces and goofy glaces that got kicked out of the Jeep Camp.

Funny you should say that. Just this morning, I saw a new Odyssey sitting at a traffic light. My first impression was, "dang, that thing is a pudge!". They really look bulky.

But that don't matter; the Odyssey is God's gift to minivandom.