"I'm not gonna lie"

mustang84

Why is everybody ending their sentences with this phrase?? I've heard it three times today from three different people and it's getting to the point where it's just downright annoying. Was it on some movie or TV show that I missed? I hadn't heard anyone use it until about a month and a half ago, and now it's infested itself into the campus lingo like a virus. Here's some examples of its usage: Amanda: "Yeah, I took my physics test today and did pretty bad...I'm not gonna lie." Bob: "Yeah, this dining food sucks today...I'm not gonna lie." Why? :unsure:

A variation of beginning a statement with, "Honestly, now..." Which implies you were totally lying beforehand.

I'm not going to lie, I use it mroe often than I should. Back in high school I had a friend who constantly said, "Yeah, I know, right" in any context imaginable. I picked that up from her, I used to say it a lot, recently I've slowed down, I'm not gonna lie.

Its trite and annoying, kind of like punctuating sentences with "Know what I'm sayin'?" I think people picked it up from these 'pro' athletes going on TV and pretending to speak about things, like "We fell down in the last quarter, know what I'm sayin'? But next time we gonna whup up on 'em, know what I'm sayin'?" No. I don't know what you're saying, know what I'm sayin'?

Its trite and annoying, kind of like punctuating sentences with "Know what I'm sayin'?" I think people picked it up from these 'pro' athletes going on TV and pretending to speak about things, like "We fell down in the last quarter, know what I'm sayin'? But next time we gonna whup up on 'em, know what I'm sayin'?"

No. I don't know what you're saying, know what I'm sayin'?

[post="40552"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah I know, right.

God I wish I were a ditzy blonde.

That was on the Simpsons. Obivously, because everything else they said prior to that was nothing but lies.

[post="40414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That was a great Homer moment. "I'm not going to lie to you Marge..."

-- long, drawn out blank stare --

How about when Homer's Bootleg factory in the basement is exploding and he's in bed trying to distract Marge from hearing it:

[random conversation] ~ Boom!!! ~ [random change of topic] ~POW!~ [more random conversation] ~ Pow! Bang!! ~ [continued conversation] ~ Booom! Bang-BANG! ~ [MORE random conversation] ~ Ka-Blamo!!!! ~