Home state sights to see

I'm in the midst of reading Jim Hinckley's book, _Route 66 Backroads_, to prepare and plan this year's Route 66 Drive, September 5-16. I'm learning a lot about different areas in several states that probably should be explored ... when I have time. I'm also beginning to wish I could take more time for the Route 66 Drive...and, for that matter, road trips in general....

As I read the book further, I wonder what else is "out there" of interest to see in various areas. Our own "backyard" has plenty "treasures" to explore ... many more than we have time to see. This became apparent when I saw the PBS specials on Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway; researched other famous routes (US RT 20, US RT 2, The Dixie Highway, etc.); and, of course, as I've road tripped across the United States. Reading Jim Hinckley's book is just reinforcing that.

So ... what do YOU consider to be "should see" areas/places in your home state? What would you tell travelers to check out, if they have the time, as they drive through your state? What "obscure" and "out of the way" places in your home state come to mind?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

• 2 weeks later...

Traverse City and most of the West Side of Michigan is beautiful. Many parts of our Upper Peninsula (including the Mackinaw Bridge and Island) are gorgeous. Drive up north in the fall and see the colors changing. Drive up north when snow starts to hit in November/December and see the trees covered in snow. Very pretty.

In Ontario - Hamilton. It has a reputation here as the 'armpit of Ontario' because of the steel industry and the pollution and blue-collar environment that brings. However, if you dig a little deeper there is a lot to see here. The escarpment cuts through the city and creates a U-shaped park through the city, with great views from the top of the cliff all the way along. There are good hiking and biking trails throughout, and something on the order of 20 waterfalls all the way around the city. Mind you most of those are small but there are definately a few nice ones, Webster's Falls comes to mind. If you have the time, stop and hike there.

Waterfalls in Hamilton

In Wyoming there are so many places I can hardly list them. Of course the usuals are:

Yellowstone

The Tetons

Devils Tower

Jackson Hole (although overpriced and filled with yuppies)

but if you just look around, beauty is everywhere..maybe I'm biased. Just a couple to think of are

Aspen Alley, south of Rawlins

Centennial/Snowy Range west of Laramie

Vedauwoo between Laramie and Cheyenne on I-80

Flaming Gorge, south of Green River

Big Horn Mountains near Sheridan

Wind River Range near Lander

The Summit east of Laramie...beautiful stretch of I-80

Sybille Canyon between Laramie and Wheatland

Boysen Resovoir

Hell's Half Acre

the canyon between Shoshoni and Thermopolis

Shirley Basin is also beautiful in the spring.

Independence Rock and Devils Gate (between Rawlins and Casper)

can't forget the area around Hulett (close to Devils Tower) and the drive between Newcastle and Spearfish, SD is breathtaking!

Chimney Rock is pretty cool too!

Edited by PONTIAC06

• 2 weeks later...
Many parts of our Upper Peninsula (including the Mackinaw Bridge and Island) are gorgeous.

It has been WAY TOO LONG since I've been up to Mackinaw. GORGEOUS area, indeed.

Same with Yellowstone and other parks out west ... was last there "way too long" ago.....

*sighs*

I love road trips.

Me, too! One of the better things in life, imho.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I don't have time" ... Dido ... 'Sand In My Shoes'

California coastline

*nods*

And it is gorgeous for weddings. One of my cousins got married on the beach near Fresno in 2003, a few months after my OHS. I HATED flying out, but I didn't have much vacation time, so I had to fly....wish I could've driven out to CA to enjoy the sites a bit more. BUT ... the wedding was absolutely gorgeous ... weather was perfect ... sun ... blue sky ... beach scenes ... rush of the water ... etc......

• 3 weeks later...
To drive from Ill. would be pretty boring till you hit Utah.

Maybe ... but sometimes boring is good. It sure is a different site after seeing buildings endlessly in the Chicago area....

Then again, I'd be stopping to see friends along the way, so I may not pay much attention to how boring it is ;). he he