Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Saturn Slaugher Begins

I think this is what GM wanted by floating the death rumors. Two local NJ dealers closing up, pissing off customers and killing Saturn's footprint in NJ.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/200...310/1003/NEWS01

And earlier this month, an 80 year old Chevy dealership (was Chevy/Olds), and the place that I bought my Camaro and Malibu closed. Laffin Chevrolet is no more.

Not much left for me to care about new cars anymore. Just buy a Camaro SS and a G8 GT and keep them for the next 20 years I guess.

A neighbor of mine was a big-wig at the DCH Saturn dealership in East Brunswick up until a year, year and a half ago - he switched over to their Infinity dealership (maybe he saw the writing on the wall?). Don't know him personally, but he used to drive home new Saturns until one day I noticed no more Saturns and that a new Infinity took over the garage space.

It's a shame, but maybe this is GM's goal - scare the crap out of Saturn dealers by saying that the brand will disappear in 4 years and give them no new products or refreshes, leaving these dealers with no other choice but to close up to avoid a loss of sales/earning dollars. GM loses Saturn and in the process doesn't have to pay out of their pocket for lawsuits.

As for the Chevy dealer, sorry to see such history gone. Those dealers have made their money by now (well, likely just the owners), so they're not pobably too concerned. My local BPG dealership's owner was this way - he owned the brands for 25 years and was ready to retire - GM was all too happy to take the franchise back and not sell it to anyone else. Remember that GM wants to trim their dealerships back from 6,000 to 4,000. This is how GM will accomplish that goal.

DCH Saturn is right up the road from me. Been in there a few times kicking tires- nice store.

Frankly, without knowing that DCH was a multi-state concern, I'm surprised the next-door toyo store stays open, it's a small lot and I seldom see much traffic in there (I pass it about 4 days a week).

I've only passed by Laffin a few ties, but it's obvious vintage always warmed me. Sorry to hear it closed.

It will be sad to see Saturn go. It's interesting how 3 years ago, DCH credited the Saturn brand for its dealer network's success:

Lam credits the Saturn brand with providing some of the inspiration to focus on formalizing the culture. “We were one of the first groups to open a Saturn store,” says Lam. “We learned a lot from them in how to establish a culture in the dealership.”

http://wardsdealer.com/ar/auto_man_mission_2

It's a shame, but maybe this is GM's goal - scare the crap out of Saturn dealers by saying that the brand will disappear in 4 years and give them no new products or refreshes, leaving these dealers with no other choice but to close up to avoid a loss of sales/earning dollars. GM loses Saturn and in the process doesn't have to pay out of their pocket for lawsuits.

I would say that is GM's plan for Pontiac too in a year or two or three ...

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S