CD Changer Help

I don't know how much help I'll get, this being a GM site and all, but maybe someone has delt with Chrysler's CD Changers.

I have no idea how to work it or if it even works.

I hooked up the stereo and CD changer to my car today to see if they worked. The Am/FM works, but the CD player doesn't...gives a disc read error every time I put a CD in. I'm not surprised since someone stuff change in the thing.

The CD Changer powers up, but all that happens is all of the lights blink. I can't insert a disc in and when I press any of the eject buttons nothing happens.

Meanwhile, the stereo doesn't seem to go to CD-C mode. The same button is used to toggle between the CD player and CD-C, but I can only get it to go to CD.

Any thoughts? Maybe I hooked it up wrong? Maybe It's just junk? I'm not going to be heartbroken if it is, but it woulda been kinda cool to have 4 extra CDs to choose from.

I would open it up and look for bent parts. The metal bits are real easily bent when forcing stuff (like change) in there.

I've been surprised how much CD and floppy drives can be "bent back into shape" and still function. There are likely other adjustments possible, but beyond the skills of a layman.

Also, it the changer is failing its basic diagnostic, it might disable allowing CDs to be inserted, so you don't look them for good. If blinking, I imagine it would likely refuse to talk to your head unit.

I recently opened up a nice 6 disc indash changer from a Ford that had the radio stop working after a collision. I figured a loose connection and quick fix. Nice design, but completely unitized with few connections, so it was nothing really able to be done without an oscilloscope.

Edited by SAmadei

I would open it up and look for bent parts. The metal bits are real easily bent when forcing stuff (like change) in there.

I've been surprised how much CD and floppy drives can be "bent back into shape" and still function. There are likely other adjustments possible, but beyond the skills of a layman.

Also, it the changer is failing its basic diagnostic, it might disable allowing CDs to be inserted, so you don't look them for good. If blinking, I imagine it would likely refuse to talk to your head unit.

I recently opened up a nice 6 disc indash changer from a Ford that had the radio stop working after a collision. I figured a loose connection and quick fix. Nice design, but completely unitized with few connections, so it was nothing really able to be done without an oscilloscope.

Sam, I may just give that a try, although the last time I took a changer apart...well things didn't go too well. :lol:

Yeah, I wish there was some way to rig an AUX jack up. I refuse to put an aftermarket head unit in the car.

Of course that's the nice thing about the tape player...can use the old school cassette adapter and make it into an aux jack for the mp3 player I...don't....currently....have.

Yeah, I wish there was some way to rig an AUX jack up. I refuse to put an aftermarket head unit in the car.

I like my Clarion, it's not styled wildly like most aftermarket units. Not to mention, it has a variable color display and backlighting.

clarion_dxz845mc_01.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

Yeah DF, just go aftermarket & get a player compatible with CD-Rs & MP3s.

I've never seen an afremarket unit that looked like it belonged in the car it was installed in. It's the single reason why I stick with stock head units.

DF, if fixing it yourself fails you may want to check out M&R Electronics. Free repair estimate, no charge if you don't do it. I bought a Delco CD player for my S10 blazer from them a few years ago. It went on the fritz and even brand new CDs would be unplayable. They warrantied it no prob.

I like my Clarion, it's not styled wildly like most aftermarket units. Not to mention, it has a variable color display and backlighting.

clarion_dxz845mc_01.jpg

But it's still an issue of square peg in round-sh hole. Although that is much better than most units.

I've never seen an afremarket unit that looked like it belonged in the car it was installed in. It's the single reason why I stick with stock head units.

DF, if fixing it yourself fails you may want to check out M&R Electronics. Free repair estimate, no charge if you don't do it. I bought a Delco CD player for my S10 blazer from them a few years ago. It went on the fritz and even brand new CDs would be unplayable. They warrantied it no prob.

Thanks for the link Z!

I posted this on allpar, they tell me the 4-disc units are notorious for being easy to break, and that the redesigned 6-discs are a lot better.

I'll just put my factory unit back in for now...plus with the changer in there I loose the storage cubby that I use to keep my phone and mp3 player in.

I'll never go back to a stock receiver... Unless I buy an Audi. Bang & Olufsen is the $h!. :P