Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New York Preview: BMW X6 and X5 get the M treatment

001_bmwx6mx5m.jpg

BMW has done the (inexplicable) inevitable, expanding its M treatment from cars to SUVs (or Sports Activity Vehicles in BMW parlance). The New York Auto Show marks the world debut of the X5 M and X6 M, and in typical M fashion, the high riders get substantially more power than their more pedestrian variants. Both vehicles get uprated versions of the 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 that debuted in the X6 last year. Power goes from a mere 400 hp up to 555 hp in M form with torque swelling from 450 to 500 lb-ft. While the increase in twist doesn't seem like all that much, BMW is claiming it's produced from 1,500 all the way to 5,650 rpm.

The 4.4-liter V8 is direct injected and like other such engines with turbos, torque aplenty is the result. Like the standard version of the V8, the M variant has the intakes on the outside of the cylinder heads with the exhaust and twin turbos planted in the valley between the banks. This new version sports a revised exhaust manifold that combines the flow from both banks into the duo of twin scroll turbochargers. Learn more about the new Ms after the jump.

The exhaust runner lengths have been tuned to ensure each turbo gets a pulse of exhaust pressure for every 90 degrees of crank rotation, allowing a steady flow to keep them spinning. The charge cooling effect of direct injection along with a pair of water-to-air intercoolers allowed the M engineers to crank maximum boost to 21 psi. We can't wait to see this engine in the next generation M5 in a year or two, providing a real challenge to the new CTS-V.

An important element of all new BMWs is Efficient Dynamics. While these two vehicles aren't particularly "efficient" in the grand scheme of things, BMW has tried to make the most of what's available. Parasitic losses are kept to a minimum through features like an electric fuel pump with on-demand control, as well as similar control for the air conditioning compressor and a flow control system to drive hydraulic fluid to the active roll control system.

BMW's M models aren't just about engines -- they're about providing a well-rounded package that begins and ends with handling. To that end, the active roll stabilization and adaptive drive systems get the most out of the fairly heavy X6. The torque vectoring all-wheel drive system has been enhanced and a new driver activated M button triggers higher activation thresholds for the stability control and optimizing for other settings. The brakes definitely appear to be up to the task of hauling down 5,000+ pounds of X6 M with 15.6-inch rotors in front and 15.2-inch discs in the back.

The Ms also get the prerequisite visual modifications, including a gaping front fascia that openings to accommodate the air flow required to feed and cool the powerplant. At the back, a revised rear fascia features the BMW's trademark four outlet exhaust, while each corner is fitted with new 20-inch alloys wrapped in 275/40 tires at the front and 315/35 rubber in the rear.

Autoblog

Like most things BMW they'll prob. grow on me.

(not that I'm disliking them now) :P

PCS:

Your Sig. is divine. :wub:

bmwnewsig500.jpg

I dunno- I think they should stretch the grilles vertically instead of leaving that huge gap above the bumper...

Hmmm, good point. :yes:

Edited by Sixty8panther

The 5 series almost makes those things look good.

I find it hilarious that you questions my eye for design in one thread but cream yourself over these BMWs....I mean seriously, most of the current BMWs are passable at best from a styling standpoint.

I disagree. That 5-series is the epitome of clean, sleek, timeless styling.

I disagree. That 5-series is the epitome of clean, sleek, timeless styling.

There's nothing sleek or timeless about it. The front is blunt, with it's weirdly shaped headlights that have growths coming out of the corners trying to attack the fender. The side profile is very upright and uninteresting..although at least it's not a mess of random lines like the last Z4. Then there's the back with it's ugly trunk lid cut line. The car has no flow to it at all.

I admire BMW because of their philosophy and passion for engineering, and to an extent their willingness to do whatever the hell they want with the styling. However, IMHO nothing they have out right now with the exception of 3 Series coupe qualifies as pretty. The 6 Series might if it wasn't for that dumpy nose and Bangle butt.

The G8 is a far better looking take on BMW's general styling.

There's nothing sleek or timeless about it. The front is blunt, with it's weirdly shaped headlights that have growths coming out of the corners trying to attack the fender. The side profile is very upright and uninteresting..although at least it's not a mess of random lines like the last Z4. Then there's the back with it's ugly trunk lid cut line. The car has no flow to it at all.

I admire BMW because of their philosophy and passion for engineering, and to an extent their willingness to do whatever the hell they want with the styling. However, IMHO nothing they have out right now with the exception of 3 Series coupe qualifies as pretty. The 6 Series might if it wasn't for that dumpy nose and Bangle butt.

The G8 is a far better looking take on BMW's general styling.

Relax... design is subjective; there will always be opposing opinions of which is "far better looking."

Interestingly, I find the 3-series coupe to be the dreariest BMW out there. It's flabby like a German Solara. I'd much rather have the eccentric art project that is the Z4 Coupe.

Nowadays I don't give a crap about BMW's "philosophy" -- didn't they say there will never be an M-powered SUV? And didn't they say M cars will never use forced induction? Pshh.

>>"There's nothing sleek or timeless about it. ..."<<

Agreed. To my eye, with the same design approach they've used for decades, they all look stale & dated.

BMW does 2 things well, IMO; they always nail the fender/tire gaps (including wheel track), and they do interesting things within their lighting, but the overall shapes are nothing great. I like the 'fan' running lighting in what I think it the current 5-series tails. The rest is mid-pack at best, and on occasion it approaches the bottom in some of the overwrought M-stuff.

Imagine if GM put a huge focus like this on developing a high performance SUV? They'd be crucified.

Aside from that, those botched front bumper covers don't really do much for the dated total styling package. Despite being a great driver's car, depending upon how many people actually USE the car as such and not just a status-symbol show piece, current BMW styling does nothing for me.

Imagine if GM put a huge focus like this on developing a high performance SUV? They'd be crucified.

If it was the same effort that went into the CTS-V, they wouldn't be crucified.

This tune of BMW's V8 is rumoured to be used in the M5 as well, replacing the current V10.

Edited by ZL-1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, aside from my thinking that there shouldn't even be an X6 anyway, I'd much rather have M treatment for the 1-Series and new Z4 than this abomination.

So much for BMW seeming to have their "focus" versus Mercedes-Benz and their AMG.

R63 anyone?

Edited by MyerShift

Well, aside from my thinking that there shouldn't even be an X6 anyway, I'd much rather have M treatment for the 1-Series and new Z4 than this abomination.

So much for BMW seeming to have their "focus" versus Mercedes-Benz and their AMG.

R63 anyone?

I think BMW has reached its limits as a brand. Things like the 5-Series GT are a sign that they have nowhere to grow without risking losing the brand's soul. MINI is also at its limit as the Crossman could be stepping on the 'gone too far' line. That's why I personally see a certain Swedish brand called SAAB as a nice complement to both MINI and BMW. A brand that has sold practical large hatches before (SAAB 9000), a brand that can be luxury/performance but with a focus on environmental responsibility, and a brand that would not sell more than 200K units/year in the near future (far from being a threat to the BMW brand's global volume). But that's just me babbling...

Children under 40 lbs. might be sucked into those large lower openings on the blue one.

In the old days mothers only needed to warn of strangers in black cars offering candy. Like in Clint Eastwood's "Mystic River".