Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick to spend big advertising Lucerne

Cananopie

Apparently Buick is going to spend "well over 20% of its first-quarter advertising budget promoting the Lucerne"

Here is all of the article it'll let us non-members of Automotive News will let us see... I just thought it was interesting and worthy enough to share

https://www.autonews.com/buyArchives.cms?newsId=13812

Cananopie: :) Thank you for posting this.

But if there ever was an award for least meaningful news story, this should be nominated. The story says that "Buick will focus . . . nearly one-fourth of its budget on the new Lucerne sedan in the first quarter of 2006."

:rolleyes: Well, yeah, since they only have 4 vehicles that need to be advertised, it would be a no-brainer if Lucerne gets 1/4th of the ad budget. (Rainier will be dropped in '06 so it shouldn't be allocated a dime).

The story goes on to state, "The Lucerne is a 'very big part' of Buick's advertising budget for next year, Steve Shannon, Buick general manager, told Automotive News at a press event here." <_< I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks, for those cogent comments.

I'd like to see an ad showing an H2 bulldozing a bunch of lawn gnomes and pink flamingos in a suburban neighborhood with a blonde bombshell in juicy couture stepping out of it in some glitterati aviator sunglasses with the caption "Shiela: Suburban Warrior Princess." It would be funny as all hell.

I'd like to see an ad showing an H2 bulldozing a bunch of lawn gnomes and pink flamingos in a suburban neighborhood with a blonde bombshell in juicy couture stepping out of it in some glitterati aviator sunglasses with the caption "Shiela: Suburban Warrior Princess."

It would be funny as all hell.

[post="43728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:o :booyah:

There are 5 vehicles, not 4 or 2 for them to advertise.

[post="44015"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Posted by wildcat: "Well, yeah, since they only have 4 vehicles that need to be advertised, it would be a no-brainer if Lucerne gets 1/4th of the ad budget. (Rainier will be dropped in '06 so it shouldn't be allocated a dime)."

[Picard]THERE....ARE....FOUR.....VEHICLES!!![/Picard] :AH-HA_wink:

Still, don't take it the wrong way. I'm glad you posted it anyway because it's funny to talk about.

In the spirit of that: Ford spends 70% of their ad revenue talking about how great their quality is as they use as many cheap potentially defective parts to save less than a buck per vehicle. Edited by SuperDave

I'm not taking it the wrong way but when there is a 2006 Rainier, last year or not, it will not be dropped in 2006. It will be dropped in 2007 because 2006 carries a Rainier which means they have to sell them still... and last I checked, when you sell something, you should advertise for it... especially when you have to try and usher them off your lot for the 2007 vehicles next summer. There will be far more than a dime dropped in to the Rainier advertising.

Nobody knows really how much any company uses on advertising. When you go to a hockey game and you see a car company advertised on the side of the wall without a dealership THAT is advertisement money NOT put in to a vehicle. And ALL car companies spend that type of money- Buick does not get free golf advertisements- the Buick open is not a free advertising event- that comes out of Buick's advertising pockets, and quite a chunk of change I'm sure. The Buick name doesn't get there because 25% of advertising goes to the Lucerne, 25 LaCrosse, 25 Rendezvous, and 25 Terraza.

Does this not make sense to anyone? Advertisement is not done by single vehicle alone. I'd say probably 50% of advertising for Buick or (any company, just a guess though) would be just the BUICK name... not a vehicle.

Do you honestly think they only advertise for specific vehicles... and the advertisement money is only spent on TV and internet ads? I'm sure it's out of Buick's pocket right now that has a "Red Tag Sales Event at your local Buick dealer" which is not your perfect 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4. Edited by Cananopie