GM Spent $2.8 Million on Lobbying in Quarter While on U.S. Aid

Jonathan D. Salant and John Hughes Jonathan D. Salant And John Hughes – Tue Apr 21, 12:10 am ET

April 21 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., surviving on $13.4 billion in government aid, spent $2.8 million on lobbying during the first three months of 2009, according to disclosures filed yesterday with the U.S. House and Senate.

“Like any quarter, our reporting and expenses reflect the level of activity that we’re engaged in, and the breadth of issues that affect our business,” Greg Martin, a GM spokesman, said. “As being part of what is arguably one of the most- regulated industries in the country, you have a voice to add to complex policy discussions and you report it.”

Spending by the biggest U.S. automaker was down from $4.1 million the carmaker spent in the same period a year earlier.

Detroit-based GM is trying to cuts costs for labor, health care and debt to meet a June 1 deadline for avoiding bankruptcy.

Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler LLC, also relying on U.S. funds to avoid bankruptcy, reported lobbying expenses of $720,658 between January and March, 47 percent less than the $1.4 million that the carmaker spent during the same three-month period a year earlier.

Chrysler, the third-largest U.S. automaker, received $4 billion from the government in January and has a May 1 deadline to create an alliance with Italian automaker Fiat SpA in order to receive up to $6 billion more in U.S. assistance.

Chrysler is spending “to educate policy members about the company and the future of the automotive industry,” Todd Goyer, a Chrysler spokesman, said in a statement. “There is significant demand for education and information regarding Chrysler from legislators and government officials.”

The expenditures were for “a wide range of issues,” including energy policy, development of electric and fuel- efficient vehicles, taxation, health care, trade and international affairs, he said.

Link

Just another GM hater trying to stir more sh*t.

Typical media garbage.

I find it funny that DC haas worked out this little scam though... 1) Hate on the automakers and look like they're fighting for the public. 2) Get pay dirt from the automakers to "change your mind" 3) Let the media destroy what's left of GM because they had to pay YOU to change your mind.

:rolleyes:

Typical media garbage.

I find it funny that DC haas worked out this little scam though... 1) Hate on the automakers and look like they're fighting for the public. 2) Get pay dirt from the automakers to "change your mind" 3) Let the media destroy what's left of GM because they had to pay YOU to change your mind.

:word: I couldn't agree more.

Typical media garbage.

I'm really not trying to pile on, but isn't GM simply reaping the reward of coming to the gov't trough?

This type of crushing bad news is exactly what happens when your inevitable bankruptcy is being financed out of taxpayer wallets. Combined with recent GM history & reputation, this simply can't be a PR boon.

What does this gov't do differently after the previous one throws a burning bag of dog sh!t on the White House porch? Let them fail? Fund them indefinitely?

There's no good choice, nor a real middle ground.

I'm really not trying to pile on, but isn't GM simply reaping the reward of coming to the gov't trough?

This type of crushing bad news is exactly what happens when your inevitable bankruptcy is being financed out of taxpayer wallets. Combined with recent GM history & reputation, this simply can't be a PR boon.

What does this gov't do differently after the previous one throws a burning bag of dog sh!t on the White House porch? Let them fail? Fund them indefinitely?

There's no good choice, nor a real middle ground.

Id much rather have my tax money sent toward GM rather than some of the stupid $h! the politicans blow it on, like higher pay for themselves, trips all over the place that they go on, and some of crap that they blow it on that doesn't make a difference toward anything. I can see people getting a little angry at handing over their tax money to a company that wasn't managed very well, but that said there are alot worse things your money goes to that you don't even know about. The only thing that these government officials are is a bunch of crooks!

Id much rather have my tax money sent toward GM rather than some of the stupid $h! the politicans blow it on, like higher pay for themselves, trips all over the place that they go on, and some of crap that they blow it on that doesn't make a difference toward anything. I can see people getting a little angry at handing over their tax money to a company that wasn't managed very well, but that said there are alot worse things your money goes to that you don't even know about. The only thing that these government officials are is a bunch of crooks!

Therein lies the problem...plenty of taxpayers would rather their money NOT go to GM...in fact, its a clear majority, according to most polls on the subject.

This doesn't change the fact that the politicians are mostly scum or that Wash DC is wasteful---but GM having to go to these lengths to survive is out of a desperation that everyone now knows about.

I agree that GM (& to a lesser extent Chrysler) should be aided...I couldn't begin to tell you how best to do it, however.

I hope that it's done correctly, for many reasons, but I'm not sure there is a 'right' way. All I do know is that this position has left GM with no options, so this is, by definition, the best one.