Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Retro Vinyl

ocnblu

I've been an advocate of RWD my whole life, but the upcoming Monte Carlo SS, I gotta admit, has me dreaming.

My latest scheme is this... How about a white one with Ebony cloth interior (too bad there's no blue) and I'd add blue tape stripes around the bottom exactly like the '83 (except for the lettering)? For some odd reason I'd love to see what that would look like. Does that sound 80's retro cool or hopelessly tacky? Don't hold back, tell me what you really think, and while we're at it, are there any other new cars you'd like to see with retro graphics treatments? How about an '06 Mustang "King Cobra" taped out like the late 70's Mustang II?

Jeep is actually doing this with the '06 Wrangler "Golden Eagle", a graphics package that was originally out sometime in the 70's or early 80's on the CJ.

I'm wiht Harley... King Cobra 2006 Mustang? WHY NOT!? What made that car hideous was the car itself, the graphics just hmade it worse cause they were on a Mustang II. :puke: Vinyl roof on a 2006 MC? Hey, why not... so long as it's quality and looks decent.

Im not sure on this one :unsure: Vinyl top on the older cars was nice but really didnt the cars without it look better ? It was a nice alternative however.

Then I thought most of those mid 70's grafic cars were detestable at that time. Mainly the Mopars and Fords. What was that Aspen based Charger R/T or something like that ? Ikes !

Today I like to see them and remember the good old days but they were such a disgrace to the cars they were supposed to be paying tribute to. Kinda like, they couldnt have powerful engines, had distracting bumper protrusions, were completely lost in the styling field so the only thing left to do was put decals all over them.

The few cars that are exempt to this in my eyes are the Z28's & TA's because they were kinda tastefully done, the Hornet AMX because I liked the body lines, and of course my favorite the 75 & 76 Century pace cars, 75 I like the best for appearence, but heres the 76Posted Image

still Im not sure this is something that would fly today, example, I like this car but I dont think the public would want these grafics for the road
Posted Image

Vinyl doesn't belong on the outside of cars. Vinyl roofs--what were they thinking back then? Or the woodgrain on station wagons or big lettering on trucks. This is something that should belong in the past. On sporty cars, it was kind of like old school rice.

Razor, too funny!...you Woody Wood Pecker. There is much disdain for the wood vinyl on station wagons of the past. But you have to consider the tastes of the time....it was something people wanted in those times. I like the look of an American wagon with wood vinyl sides, whitewalls and spoke wheelcovers....there is something strangely comforting about that look...everything is alright with the world. I like that. Edited by HarleyEarl

I've been an advocate of RWD my whole life, but the upcoming Monte Carlo SS, I gotta admit, has me dreaming.

*shakes head slowly*

Say it isn't so..... ;)

My latest scheme is this... How about a white one with Ebony cloth interior (too bad there's no blue) and I'd add blue tape stripes around the bottom exactly like the '83 (except for the lettering)?  For some odd reason I'd love to see what that would look like.  Does that sound 80's retro cool or hopelessly tacky?

1 word for ya:
tacky

But, that's just my humble opinion...heh.

As for vinyl roofs, I've never understood the public's fascination with these. I know that, in terms of factory production, vinyl tops were a way to "hide" the imperfections in the roof line of the cars. Still...they cause sssooo much more trouble. I know. 3 of my 5 MCs have vinyl roofs ... and I hate 'em. When I get enough money, those vinyl tops will be coming off....but, that probably won't be for another 100 years at this rate...he he he.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

Oh yeah, I hate vinyl roofs, I'd never support a comeback.

Knightfan... you're right. I too prefer the cleaner look of no graphics. Touches of black and chrome are much more classy, as on the SS models of yore. Maybe if there were a very narrow bead of chrome within the black wide window surround moldings on the MC, that would be enough.

I went to a Christmas party yesterday with my dad and stepmom, and she is hot to trade her Trailblazer on a new Monte SS. When I tossed out "18/28 mpg", she almost squealed, but she got quiet when I told her I haven't seen any yet. She'll probably get a black one if she can swing it.

I like white or Laser Blue with black interior.

[b]I'd actually like to see a few more "straight" colors, meaning, non-metallic, return to availability.

Any particular reason why?

Just curious...not trying to be "argumentative" ... it's just, well, the non-metallic colors, to me, just seem so "bland" these days....

Course, on the other hand, scratches aren't as noticeable...he he he.

Vinyl was good on the old cars but doesnt belong on the new ones. I like metallic paint work. But some solid colors are cool too like the white and bright red.