H3 road test

The current cry for more and more HP. sickens me. They cry about the V6 in the Lucerne and cry about the I5 in the Hummer and so on.

Look back to the 70's and 80's and the smog era and have you forgotten that the big blocks like the 454 and 460 ci motors were churning out only sub to low 200 hp and they towed the big trailers then, were less aero, and had less gears in the tranny. Audi and Acura as well as others thrilled the public with 5 cylinder engines and now VW. More is not always better.

I'd prefer less HP if I could change filters, oil, and do tune ups with little hassle.
Thxs for the link.

road test here

Probably the first road test to say the 5 cyulinder engine was cool.

[post="46930"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed 100%!
The bigger is better thing as far as HP is usually argued by the novice book reader.
Experience tells you even if two vehicles have the same weight that 220 hp will not seem the same in both. Too many variables as we know. I think if the H3 had 320 hp it would be shy by 20 hp anyway and so on. I'd rather work on a 5 cylinder than a V8 in the H3

I think the only reason anyone complains about power in the H3 is because its key competitor is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which offers a Hemi V8 as an option.

Then again, the H3 is much cooler looking. B)

[post="48203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More is not always better.

[post="48165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree about the "spoiled brat" attitude that 300 hp. and more is a necessity of life. My primarry vehicle is an extended cab Sonoma pickup with a 115 hp pushrod engine (God forbid) and I get there eventually. As a matter of fact I would agree with you 110%, if that wouldn't disprove your comment "more is not always better" :):) just being silly.

I agree about the "spoiled brat" attitude that 300 hp. and more is a necessity of life.  My primarry vehicle is an extended cab Sonoma pickup with a 115 hp pushrod engine (God forbid) and I get there eventually.  As a matter of fact I would agree with you 110%, if that wouldn't disprove your comment "more is not always better"  :):)  just being silly.

[post="48279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well cars are so much more than just necessity now. Do I need 300hp? no, but do I want it and am I willing to pay more to get it? Yes

Yes Sir!
I want 500 hp and 40 mpg.
Honestly though, I'm not willing to pay for it.
I paid over sticker once in my life in 1986 when Acura was new.
86 Integra cost me $1,000 over.
I just feel like a dumb arse two years down the road when they are selling 3 -5 grand below retail.

Well cars are so much more than just necessity now. Do I need 300hp? no, but do I want it and am I willing to pay more to get it? Yes

[post="48284"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes Sir!
I want 500 hp and 40 mpg.
Honestly though, I'm not willing to pay for it.
I paid over sticker once in my life in 1986 when Acura was new.
86 Integra cost me $1,000 over.
I just feel like a dumb arse two years down the road when they are selling 3 -5 grand below retail.

[post="48359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the point is, alot of people are willing to pay for it. That is why we have so many choices. Does someone really NEED a Bentley or Ferrari? I think they could live without it. GM should at least offer a higher output engine for the people who want it and will pay more for it.

• 2 weeks later...
3.5L in a vehicle that weighs what the H3 weighs is pitiful. The point is torque, and that motor can't make enough of it low down with that capacity. GM could have used a DOD 5.3 and achieved far better performance with probably very similar mpg numbers. The 5 banger was a colossal mistake on the part of GM.

• 2 weeks later...

The current cry for more and more HP. sickens me. They cry about the V6 in the Lucerne and cry about the I5 in the Hummer and so on.

Look back to the 70's and 80's and the smog era and have you forgotten that the big blocks like the 454 and 460 ci motors were churning out only sub to low 200 hp and they towed the big trailers then, were less aero, and had less gears in the tranny. Audi and Acura as well as others thrilled the public with 5 cylinder engines and now VW. More is not always better.

I'd prefer less HP if I could change filters, oil, and do tune ups with little hassle.
Thxs for the link.

[post="48165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Torque.

• 2 weeks later...