Ghosn slams Detroit management

Ghosn was responding to questions at an award dinner in NYC. Seems to be slamming management at GM and Ford, without mentioning them by names.

"There is no good management with bad results."

"When you are in an industry like the auto industry the best practices exist everywhere," says Ghosn. "You can figure out how they [the winners] are doing it. Forget the past, and forget the excuses. Copy those best practices."

It was clear that Ghosn was talking about Detroit. "There's a lack of accountability when someone fails and gets promoted." There is trouble when you create a culture where failure is sanctioned. Then he adds, "There is a lot of incompetence in the industry."

"GM problems you can fix them. Ford problems you can fix them. If you can see the problem as it is, you can always fix it."

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/2005/11/2...artner=yahootix Edited by Lexcar14

wasn't it Nissan that just got rapped with aving like 4 or more of the least reliable cars? "There is trouble when you create a culture where failure is sanctioned. Then he adds, "There is a lot of incompetence in the industry." hmmm, maybe Carlos, you should look at those JD power numbers...... LOL, carlos MAKES ME LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What Ghosn is saying to his employees is that he really doesn't care about them; they are just pieces to move on the board." "Ghosn still is the man of the hour in the auto business, but like I said, when he makes a mistake it's a big one. " normally I hate Flint....but this article is a fabulous viewpoint. I wonder if Carlos Ghosn likes country music. He better learn how to 2 step. Edited by regfootball

"What Ghosn is saying to his employees is that he really doesn't care about them; they are just pieces to move on the board."

"Ghosn still is the man of the hour in the auto business, but like I said, when he makes a mistake it's a big one. "

normally I hate Flint....but this article is a fabulous viewpoint.

I wonder if Carlos Ghosn likes country music.  He better learn how to 2 step.

[post="47295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well Ghosn actually lives in Paris, France, so he's far removed from the situation. He was just looking at the move in pure dollars and cents. Nissan is keeping the design team in Cali though, so I think it does make sense in the end for the company.

Come on guys... Carlos Ghosn is the guy who saved Nissan. They were basically bankrupt, and he gave them profits after only 3 years. He is considered a celebrity in Japan. If GM could only be so lucky to get his help! Don't kid yourself, GM is in the state its in now because of bad management, so what Ghosn is saying is true!

Yeah, you're right, it confirms that he hasn't a clue.

[post="47358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LMAO :D

Ghosen is talented, no doubt.

But he gets far more credit than he deserves IMO. Nissan seesm to be peaking or seems to have peaked already in their comeback.

P.S. And I agree, a lot of Detroits problems couldn't be more VISIBLE if the grew legs and smacked Wagoner/Ford in the face.

Well Ghosn actually lives in Paris, France, so he's far removed from the situation.  He was just looking at the move in pure dollars and cents.  Nissan is keeping the design team in Cali though, so I think it does make sense in the end for the company.

[post="47332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that's what we call being a great corporate steward.

uproot thousands and piss em off. disrupt numerous lives so they hate their jobs.

turnover 1/4 of your staff.

GREAT BUSINESS MOVE.

let's judge Ghosn in just a few more years when the true effects of Nissan's poor quality can either wreck the company or they actually re-learn something called quality. the only thing he's fixed so far are balance sheets. He's actually damaged Nissan's rep for quality and many aren't keen on the newest Nissan designs. i like them to a point, but they have a short shelf life. Nissan will be going through what VW is now......a design renaissance that was trailed closely by crap quality which may lead to the 'never again' customer. Edited by regfootball

let's judge Ghosn in just a few more years when the true effects of Nissan's poor quality can either wreck the company or they actually re-learn something called quality.

the only thing he's fixed so far are balance sheets.  He's actually damaged Nissan's rep for quality and many aren't keen on the newest Nissan designs.  i like them to a point, but they have a short shelf life.

Nissan will be going through what VW is now......a design renaissance that was trailed closely by crap quality which may lead to the 'never again' customer.

[post="47632"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As I've said before, the only vehicles that have been having higher than average (for Nissan at least) problems are the brand-new vehicles (Titan, Quest, Armada, QX56) coming out of the new plant (Canton, MS) staffed with relatively new workers. They've been improving the quality of those products as well. On some other forums I frequent, buyers of later 2005 and 2006 models of the afforementioned have mentioned how improved they are over the earlier versions (of course, as goes with every company, the are those customers who have had trouble-free experiences with even the earlier products). There's no reason to think as the workers build more vehicles and gain more experience that the quality won't continue to improve.

Massive pay cuts and layoffs rarely if ever generate long-term business improvements in and of themselves. Unfortunately, GM appears to be cutting...cutting itself slowly out of business, in the hope of generating a short-term improvement in its stock price. Management at GM has failed, and as much as I want to see a turnaround at GM, I am afraid that it won't happen on the current watch. Ghosen is absolutely right, and chartered a path of improvement at Nissan that was right on the money. Create killer products to get people excited about your business, and then dump all of those newfound profits into improving quality, designs, and processes so that you can generate long-term sustainable growth of the company. GROWTH. GM is always fighting the war of the past, and you can't win that way. We can talk about how incredible it is that the rear lift gate of the Maxx is made out of one piece of aluminum, but if people don't buy the car then it is pointless. There is too much complacency and incompetence at GM for any meaningful recovery of the company, and I don't see any change on the horizon.