New Shoe's Whinning

Just got a new set of shoes from my 2001 Sunfire. Now whenever I hit the brakes there's a constant whine, louder when speed is under 30kph. Its especially bad when the brakes are cold.

Any idea's what it could be?

Just got a new set of shoes from my 2001 Sunfire. Now whenever I hit the brakes there's a constant whine, louder when speed is under 30kph. Its especially bad when the brakes are cold.

Any idea's what it could be?

You definitely mean shoes, like on the rear of the car? Rear shoes usually don't make noticeable noise due the drum blocking/absorbing the noise. The front uses pads, which wear out five times as fast, and bad or improperly installed pads can definitely make noise.

I wanted to get this clarification, as the suggestions will be very different depending on it being shoes or pads, and some people use the terms interchangeably.

Edited by SAmadei

You definitely mean shoes, like on the rear of the car? Rear shoes usually don't make noticeable noise due the drum blocking/absorbing the noise. The front uses pads, which wear out five times as fast, and bad or improperly installed pads can definitely make noise.

I wanted to get this clarification, as the suggestions will be very different depending on it being shoes or pads, and some people use the terms interchangeably.

SunFire has pad front, shoes rear, I suspect the following, A) we are talking about the front Pads B) They are probably high Metallic and came with a lifetime warranty, reason they whin and make noise. C) During installation they could have missed applying brake quite spray to the back of the pads and any shims that might be back there.

If it really is the Rear Shoes, then we have a whole new ballgame as SAmadei is correct, drums usually absorb the noise.

So are we talking front pads or rear shoes? :scratchchin:

SunFire has pad front, shoes rear, I suspect the following, A) we are talking about the front Pads B) They are probably high Metallic and came with a lifetime warranty, reason they whin and make noise. C) During installation they could have missed applying brake quite spray to the back of the pads and any shims that might be back there.

If it really is the Rear Shoes, then we have a whole new ballgame as SAmadei is correct, drums usually absorb the noise.

So are we talking front pads or rear shoes? :scratchchin:

+1

He only did the rear shoes this time around (he did the front pads last year).

the only other thing he did was to put on my summer tires. I wouldn't think this would be making the sound because a)they've been on before without making the sound

He only did the rear shoes this time around (he did the front pads last year).

the only other thing he did was to put on my summer tires. I wouldn't think this would be making the sound because a)they've been on before without making the sound

How long have you driven the car since they were replaced?

Its making noise even when you are not on the brakes?

I'm tentatively voting for improper reassembly. At I recall, "my" Sunfire has a very small drum and the setup is a little unconventional. A few of the parts are easily reversed and I could see them dragging all the time, creating your whine.

Its likely happening all the time, but it only noticeable at lower speeds. Better inspect it before something is fubared... like the drum. I've opened up alot of drums over the years to find parts broken and dragging, yet making no noise. Not to alarm you, but you must have something seriously dragging for the sound to get throught the drum.

talked to the mechanic. he was able to repeat the sound without much effort and said it was just the shoes setting it. Said to come back after 1000km (I've put about 100-150km on it since the work was done on tues) if it was still making the sound

Edited by Dragon

talked to the mechanic. he was able to repeat the sound without much effort and said it was just the shoes setting it. Said to come back after 1000km (I've put about 100-150km on it since the work was done on tues) if it was still making the sound

Do these shoes have a life time warranty? I have found that shoes and pads with lifetime warranties usually are high metalic content and always squeal or whin. This could end up driving you nuts unless you cannot hear it when you play the radio.

I have never had shoes or pads that made noise during the first 500 miles to set / break them in. Only metallic pads / shoes do this.

Do these shoes have a life time warranty? I have found that shoes and pads with lifetime warranties usually are high metalic content and always squeal or whin. This could end up driving you nuts unless you cannot hear it when you play the radio.

I have never had shoes or pads that made noise during the first 500 miles to set / break them in. Only metallic pads / shoes do this.

don't know about the warranty. If it lasts more then the 1000km he said (which I should be through soemtime next week cause I'm moving) he'd fix the problem

don't know about the warranty. If it lasts more then the 1000km he said (which I should be through soemtime next week cause I'm moving) he'd fix the problem

Was the break job done at the dealership or 3rd party repair shop?

I stopped using Midas as they went to life time warranty on breaks and they are so damn noisy due to the excessive metalic in the pads. I would rather go OEM quite and have to replace them every 50K miles than to have a noisy pad.

Was the break job done at the dealership or 3rd party repair shop?

I stopped using Midas as they went to life time warranty on breaks and they are so damn noisy due to the excessive metalic in the pads. I would rather go OEM quite and have to replace them every 50K miles than to have a noisy pad.

3rd party.

3rd party.

I wish yo uthe best, have a safe move over the weekend and I hope your shoes quite down to just doing their job. Safely stopping you. Have a great one. :)

Same here. But I've never had metallic shoes make noise... but then again, I never put them on a Sunfire... only standard shoes.

break

1.to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments

brake

1.a device for slowing or stopping a vehicle or other moving mechanism by the absorption or transfer of the energy of momentum, usually by means of friction.