Calling All C&G Computer Guys...

...I have two issues to discuss: :)

1. I've been using Firefox for quite some time now and haven't recorded a single problem since I began. However...lately I've begun getting pop-ups from Internet Explorer, even though I haven't used it since Firefox was installed. I haven't deleted IE from my computer yet, so is it time to do so? (not sure if it's needed for anything)

2. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 that's just barely two years old. It's been wonderfully problem-free and seemingly unnaffected by age, regular use, or the programs I've installed (especially in contrast with my sister's Gateway). However, lately I've noticed it's been slowing down a little and freezing pretty regularly (about once every two or three days). I'm not about to let it go down the drain after being so problem-free up until now. What can I do to clean up/clean out and restore my computer? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Guys. This'll be a major help. ;)

1. I'd keep IE. Firefox has its flaws as well. For me, it plays GIFs too fast sometimes and some infrequent popups still occur. 2. Use a spyware detection program to see if any has accumulated on your computer. A lot of it running at the same time can slow down your computer. Also, Windows has two programs: Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk. You can run these to rearrange files on your computer to supposedly spped up your computer. I'm not entirely sure it makes a big difference. Some people would advise simply backing up your personal files and reinstalling Windows from scratch if it gets unbearably slow.

If all web pages were fully W3C complient, then you could forget about ever using IE again. Unfortunately this isn't the case.

You'll still need IE to access sites written using FrontPage. Microsoft's web authoring programs have a reputation for adding deliberate errors to the code they produce ... errors that for some strange reason, IE has no problems dealing with.

You'll also need IE to access some of Microsoft's web based update services.

You've got spyware on your machine somewhere. 1.Make sure you have updated anti-virus, an excellent free one can be had at www.avast.com download the home edition and register your e-mail with them. I've never been received anything more then the registration e-mail from them. 2.Make sure you have an anti-spyware software installed. Microsoft Anti-Spyware is free <for now> and is actually pretty good... mostly because Microsoft didn't write it. 3. If you are on cable modem or DSL, make sure you have a firewall installed on the machine. Even if you are running Windows XP service pack 2, the firewall included is inadaquate. Download Zonealarm for free from www.zonealarm.com 4. Make sure all your Windows updates are done. All of them... every single one... even if it updates a piece of software you do not use. I'd venture to guess that most of the e-mail viruses out there are from hijacked, unused copies of Outlook Express that people don't patch because they don't use it.

For the spyware I'd use a combo of two scanners. Usually when one misses a few another will catch the rest. Just to be safe. For Firefox, I keep IE as compatibility. I hide IE then use IEView to call IE from Firefox when needed. M$ dominated for too long and there are too many slacking web developers out there. Defragnenting and running chkdsk may also help your slowness problems. Check for viruses and worms, too. Again, just to be safe.