Sixty8panther

>>> Panther <<<

10 posts in this topic

Explain my Avatar: Who/What/When. Perhaps someone with an excellent memory who read one of my long-assed posts on the old C&G will remember. :)

Did you re-do the insulation in your house and become so impressed with the pink insulation that you wanted a pink panther tattoo but your tattoo artists ran out of pink, so you got black?

Not quite smartass... :P Keep guessing.

It's the girlfriend's Tatoo just above her breast. I told her on our first date how someday I'd own a 1st gen. Camaro and woudl get "PANTHER" vanity plates. Les than a year later both had happened and we were living togeather. Edited by Sixty8panther

This one is to easy 68. I will let someone else take a few guesses and if nobdy gets it I will answer it around 2 EST.

2:00 and time to answer. Panther was the name that would have been on the Chevy F-body coupe except that Chevrolet decided that all new names would begin with 'C', Caprice, Cameo, Chevelle. Although it didn't last a long time Monte Carlo came out in what, 71 or 72. But that is why Camaro was picked as the name of the Chevy F body coupe instead of Panther.

The story is told in many different ways. It seems every Musclecar or Camaro book I have has a different spin on the Panther tale. One book even mentions Ralph Nader. It says after he picked on the Corvair and wreaked havoc for GM with his "Safety" campaign they felt the name Panther was much too high profile and risque for the division. Camaro (meaning friend in Sp. & Fr.) fit the bill AND the bonus was it started wiht a "C". Estees and one other executive I forget were the ones flipping through a Spanish/French dictionary when they found it. I'll post an interesting article later. :) P.S. the M/C came out in fall of 1969 as a 1970 model. Edited by Sixty8panther

Here's a great article. When this came out I felt like this guy read my mind. I've always wanted to make a "1965" Chevy Panther clone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor