Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Jury summons - HELP

Well, well, I go to my mailbox and I see a jury summons. I don't mind. I haven't seen one since college when I got an exemption every time.

However, they are fairly automated and show a start date with call-in numbers and blah-blah-blah. Do you know if they can adjust the start date by a couple of days? I don't want a postponement...just a movement a couple of days back. What do you know about this?

I get called quite often. This is no joke. I have done municipal, county and federal courts. I get called so much, it is a running joke at my job and with family and friends. I do not know why they keep calling me all the time. I was just at county courts this spring. I go down there every time, I have never postponed either. They will make you postpone for another date. If you have no legit excuses, they make you come and do that.

It will be a postponement. You should call.

I get called quite often. This is no joke. I have done municipal, county and federal courts. I get called so much, it is a running joke at my job and with family and friends. I do not know why they keep calling me all the time. I was just at county courts this spring. I go down there every time, I have never postponed either. They will make you postpone for another date. If you have no legit excuses, they make you come and do that.

It will be a postponement. You should call.

Postponement is cool. That's what I wanted. Just a couple of days or a week later. I should be able to get that, no?

I postponed mine and they allowed me to choose the week that I would want to serve.

Unfortunately, it's not at the Courthouse that's a 15 minute stroll from my place, it's at the corner of Crack & Addicted south of Downtown LA where I served a couple of years ago

Postponement is cool. That's what I wanted. Just a couple of days or a week later. I should be able to get that, no?

I most cases it is a week. If you do not show up the first time, you will have problems. One of my professors here at my job kept postponing, they finally told her no, you must come and serve. They will find you. They take this stuff seriously now.

Watch what happens on this site. The members here are going to start getting jury summons.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I postponed mine and they allowed me to choose the week that I would want to serve.

Unfortunately, it's not at the Courthouse that's a 15 minute stroll from my place, it's at the corner of Crack & Addicted south of Downtown LA where I served a couple of years ago

Just out of curiosity...you served, but did you get put on a jury?

Several of my co-workers go, and then aren't put on to a jury...the attorneys (defense or prosecution, depends) don't seem to like the coat and tie folks since they can THINK. At least, that's what I've heard.

Just out of curiosity...you served, but did you get put on a jury?

Several of my co-workers go, and then aren't put on to a jury...the attorneys (defense or prosecution, depends) don't seem to like the coat and tie folks since they can THINK. At least, that's what I've heard.

Yes, that is true. I work at a university, and they do not like the fact we think and cannot be swayed. They hate the fact we think and are not easily swayed and have opinions. Plus I tell them I do not buy the whole shirt and tie act someone charged with a crime puts on. I also tell them too the justice system is not perfect and it is not totally fair. I guess that comes from working in education.

I have severed many times, but I have not been selected yet.. That is they key phrase..yet..

Yes, that is true. I work at a university, and they do not like the fact we think and cannot be swayed. They hate the fact we think and are not easily swayed and have opinions.

This is basically it. When they start to grill you, if you answer like you have a brain, you are going home. They only want people who are easily led to the cliff.

I was lucky, as for a long time, I was living in a different county from where my jury duty summons go. Instant dismissal.

However, my last years of employment allow me to serve, so I tried... but I answered questions the way the lawyers didn't like.

What kills me is the incredible amount of time wasting the whole thing is. The one time I served, we spent much of the week sitting in a room waiting for three cases to begin... in all three cases, the lawyers settled, but a hundred people had to sit around all week waiting. That is the wasting of about two man-years. They should pay more than $5 a day and have it come out of the lawyer's paycheck... then maybe some efficiency might come to the system.

Edited by SAmadei