My brother-in-law was on the news

cmattson

My brother in law is a state trooper. Last Friday, he was working a DWI shift (overtime). Basically, the Fed gov't has provided block-grants to the states so the states can provide troopers overtime to work extra shifts and crack down on DWI's. Last Friday, my brother-in-law had a drunk run a red light and smash into the front fender/driver's door of his squad at an estimated speed of 50mph. My brother in law had a broken clavicle and was knocked out by the blow. The Crown Vic's don't have side airbags - so he likely hit his head on the side of the door. The radio in his squad was damaged by the blow, so he had to use his sholder radio. He was a halfway out of it when he mumbled to dispatch that he'd been hit by something (& then he passed out). He woke up to squads, ambulances, and a helicopter. Nice you know you've got some support, huh? The Crown Vic is totalled - and his unit was only 6 months old. Bummer, huh? The guy apparantly has a whole laundry list of offenses. His previous DWI is an "escalator" + him hitting a law enforcement officer is another escalator, which means that this one is a federal offense -- minimum one year in jail if convicted. 2 Witnesses stuck around to say that the drunk ran a red light.. so the likely outcome is a conviction. Anyways, one of the local channels picked it up. I'll try and tape the segment with the my tuner card & make it available sometime shortly after that. You'll get to see my wife's brother + his mangled squad. If I can swing it, I'll try and get some of his video footage of some other action -- everytime they turn on the lights, the camera starts rolling. He's got some great crash scenes & some excellent chases as well. This is the 2nd person close to me that's been injured by a drunk driver (I had a friend that was run over by a drunk when I was younger; fortunately he survived - and still has a limp to this day as a reminder). Just a reminder to everyone out there reading this to NOT DRINK AND DRIVE this holiday season, ok? People care about you and want to make sure you arrive safely. Other people's loved ones are out and about as well. Do your best and try to be considerate, ok? Edited by cmattson

Drunk drivers SUCK.... I hope this retard gets what's coming to him! Hope your brother gets well soon. What barracks is he out of? Framingham? Concord? EDIT: Oh, since you're in Mass like I am I assumed your B.I.L. was as well. He has a very good point. If the guy can't steer clear of 18 feet of reflective tape than he has no business walking nevermind driving! Edited by Sixty8panther

Years ago, my dad was driving a semi truck for the company he worked for late at night on a highway north of Omaha, Nebraska. A drunk driver completely blew the stop sign and he slammed right into them at highway speeds, hitting the rear driver-side fender. The car spun and wound up in the ditch and my dad's truck took a good few hundred yards to stop completely due to momentum. After he ran to the car, he managed to stop a motorist and told them to get help. This was before cell phones. I think there were three people in the car and two later died at the hospital. I don't think the two that died were wearing seatbelts either. Needless to say, it was a traumatic experience for him and one of the few times I have seen my dad cry. Drinking + Driving = Dumb. Always ask a friend who is sober for a ride or just crash for the night wherever you are. If you're even the slightest bit unsure if you'll be okay to drive...don't do it. You may save somebody else's life or your own. Edited by mustang84

Just a reminder to everyone out there reading this to NOT DRINK AND DRIVE this holiday season, ok?  People care about you and want to make sure you arrive safely.  Other people's loved ones are out and about as well.  Do your best and try to be considerate, ok?

[post="61091"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I Second That... Not just in the holiday season but all seasons.

M84: Wow! Holy mother of... that's depressing. I've got sevral stories, none of them involving myself personaly but friends and family and such. One thing I will do as a parent is tell my kid(s) when they're old enough to party that any time, any where I'll drive them but under any circumstance they DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK!

..Oh, since you're in Mass..

Sorry '68 -- I'm in Minnesota; but the next time I swing out to the east coast, can we hook up? I'll buy -- as long as you give me a ride in that old F-bod, ok? It's been a dream-of-mine to own a 1st gen. I regularly drool over the pix of your ride.

Drunk drivers scare me... since my parent;s are two of them. I'm used to riding with them, though. I just always have that thought in the back on my head that it's not going to end well. So far, that thought has only been a thought when I'm riding with them. Otherwise, I could tell a few stories of how they wrecked when they were drunk. Damn... I think my dad had a more than a few DUIs when he was young and spent some time in jail for it too... Needless to say, it hasn't stopped him.

Anyways, sorry to hear about that, cmattson. :(

Drunks scare me, period. Drinking and driving is one of the worst things you can do in my book. Hopefully your brother-in-law is alright and doing fine. I'll keep him in mind. Edit: spelling. Edited by sciguy_0504

oh that's right... it's c-spec that's in Mass right? either way if you're in the area you HAVE to stop by... I'f I'm ever out there I'll be paying a visit to you and WMJ. :)

My thoughts and prayers go out to your brother-in-law. Hope he's doing well. I have great respect for those in law enforcement, especially around this time of the year. They keep the criminal drunks off the roads and help ensure the rest of us are safe.

Yikes, CM...sorry about that.... Sure hope you b-i-l is doing better now....and continues to improve.

In 1989, we were visiting some of my Mom's friends in Florida, when we received word that a family friend back home had been killed by a drunk driver when the drunk driver ignored a stop sign, hit the friend's car in the driver's side, pushing it into a tree. The husband of Mom's friend made a comment about the tragedy that drunk drivers bring to other families.... Ironically, just over a year later, he, too, was killed by a drunk driver hitting his car....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"My time here is over" ... Patty Lovelace ... 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?'

These tragedies need to stop.  Too often, I hear of people who have multiple DWI arrests, yet they somehow still have their license.  There needs to be zero tolerance.

[post="61237"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You'd think Beecher's character on OZ would make people think twice.... It's very effin simple: drinky = no drive.

There was a case in New Hampsire like 10 years ago, even as a teenager it really struck a chord with me. A guy and his buddies got out of a bar after last call and the friend with the car insisted on driving. The other three said NO WAY since he was completely intoxicated and they would not give in to him driving them home. They sat on the curb and waited for a taxi while the kid with the car (80s Nissan 300ZX) drove out of the parkign lot, sped down the road and abot 1/8th of a mile later (still in plain sight) spun out of control at high speed into a tree of a telephone pole. (I forget) Died on impact.

How many of these true stories must one hear before they smarten up? :huh: Edited by Sixty8panther

Had a buddy in high school got hit head on by a drunk driver while he and his girlfriend were riding his motorcyle. This guy raced dirt bikes semi professionally and was a great rider. The drunk in a van crossed the center line and took him out. His girlfriend flew a block and hit her head on the curb, she is still completely paralyzed. Thye drunk was an Illinois senator's son and got off with a slap on the wrist. This is one of the many reasons why I have never had a buzz in my life and never will. I don't drink or use drugs in any way. I made it through the Army, marriage, divorce, and college without drinking so I'm pretty sure I never will. If I ever get hit by a drunk and am conscious afterwards, I will make sure that he can't do that again. Hard to drive with a severed foot!

Funky: I guess everyone has a crazy story like this. I agree (to some degree) about the victim settig things straight for the rest of us. Same as if and when I own a firearm it will be loaded with hollow-points. I'm not ever going to use it in anything other than self defense. Cars, jewlery, money... they can all be replaced but if I shoot someone in my own home in the defense of my family the bastard will not have a chance to get up off the floor & sue me.

Back when they were building the QEW (major freeway) in Ontario, it was not controlled access right away. There were still stoplights at major crossroads which would later become bridges. My father had a '78 Cutlass Supreme at the time, and was driving along the QEW at about 120 km/h. Drunk in another BOF car (Ford I believe) ran the red on the side street, crossing the highway at about 100 km/h. My father was t-boned by the drunk. My mother was in the passenger seat, and the Ford hit pretty much the center of the door. The Cutlass didn't move much except for some floor buckling. My mother broke her foot, which was the only injury suffered by anyone from this crazy accident. Pretty lucky.