Can they do it?

Dr. Sketch

Toyota Motor said on Tuesday it planned a major boost in output next year to put it just a whisker under ailing General Motors for the crown of the world’s top carmaker.
READ AND REPLY

[post="64159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm going to say right now, that starting post like this are going to lead into fights...

Well, at least the gloves are off and Toyota is no longer pretending to be the bashful bride any more. Internationally, I think GM is stronger in places like South America and Europe than they are here - largely because they have accepted that competition is good and those markets are very fragmented. GM has gotten soft in North America because it has owned the market for so very long. I believe 2006 will be a very interesting year.

Well, at least the gloves are off and Toyota is no longer pretending to be the bashful bride any more.  Internationally, I think GM is stronger in places like South America and Europe than they are here - largely because they have accepted that competition is good and those markets are very fragmented.  GM has gotten soft in North America because it has owned the market for so very long.
  I believe 2006 will be a very interesting year.

That's part of the problem for GM. Toyota is doing well in the US and Asia where GM is struggling. In Europe and South America, Toyota still has plenty of room to grow...and they're doing it. Toyota is constantly introducing new products in Brazil and Venezuela and Argentina and East and West Europe. They're opening plants in places like Russia while expanding markets like India and China. GM doesn't have as many bright spots around the world.

they can do it, and watch the quality and rleiability averages drop like a rock.  Mark my words.

[post="65721"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Right. Toyota seems to be having more recalls and quality problems the more they expand.

I suppose that to be number one is both a blessing and a curse.
To know that your vehicles are the preferred ones on the market and the profits that are technically coming in to further development and quality of the next generation must seem tantalizing.
However, the bigger you are, I believe that it would be harder to keep a close eye over the entire Octopus as it expands and writhes throughout the world. It would be overwhelming.

Right. Toyota seems to be having more recalls and quality problems the more they expand.

I suppose that to be number one is both a blessing and a curse.
To know that your vehicles are the preferred ones on the market and the profits that are technically coming in to further development and quality of the next generation must seem tantalizing.
However, the bigger you are, I believe that it would be harder to keep a close eye over the entire Octopus as it expands and writhes throughout the world. It would be overwhelming.

[post="65942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the bigger you are the harder you fall.... thats the statement i live by... the question is, which giant will fall... and i'm going to assume that the giant being supported by its country will stand strong, and the one in which has been ousted will be the goliath, that curls over and dies due to a rock.

hopefully i'm wrong, but... companys cant compete against countrys... so GM loses...