Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Caprice Derby Wagon - $500

I spent nearly two grand (even taking into account what I got for selling the rebuilt 307) and did much of the work myself to keep the Buick running. And the thing was still impossible to keep legal. The fuel system, the electronics and the complete lack of parts availability (especially interior bits) pretty much sealed its fate. C4C came along at just the right time, allowing me to get ahead on what seemed like a bottomless pit of cash. Now tell me, how many people cruising Craigslist looking for a sub-$1000 car have the time or money to keep something like this on the road? The car in the ad is obviously an oil burner (2 pics show it smoking) and having the gaskets done professionally is a $1200+ job, to do it in your own garage would be much cheaper, but damn near impossible without pulling the engine.

I also had the luxury of time, money and a big-ass empty garage in which to play with it, not something most people have. Realistically this car is either going into a demo derby or a junkyard. Would it be cool if it were saved? Yep, probably closer to being roadworthy than my Buick was, but the way the world is right now, it probably wont happen.

I have a friend who had one of those Cutlass Cieras (I think, the same as a Century) with the 3.3. Her parents bought it for her when she turned 16, she got 6 years (lord only know how many of the cars 250,000 miles were hers) out of it before she had the money for a better car. I owed her for something so I did a tune-up, threw on new shocks and did the brakes, all together it cost maybe $250 to get it street legal (including 2 new tires) and she sold it for $900. Without all the work I did, she may have gotten $400-500 for it. You may not like it, but the market for those things is large, and will probably keep growing because they'll run forever without any maintenance and get pretty good mileage.

I spent nearly two grand (even taking into account what I got for selling the rebuilt 307) and did much of the work myself to keep the Buick running. And the thing was still impossible to keep legal. The fuel system, the electronics and the complete lack of parts availability (especially interior bits) pretty much sealed its fate. C4C came along at just the right time, allowing me to get ahead on what seemed like a bottomless pit of cash. Now tell me, how many people cruising Craigslist looking for a sub-$1000 car have the time or money to keep something like this on the road? The car in the ad is obviously an oil burner (2 pics show it smoking) and having the gaskets done professionally is a $1200+ job, to do it in your own garage would be much cheaper, but damn near impossible without pulling the engine.

eh, we dont have near the emission restrictions we used to. the only times cars are inspected in SC as far as i know are when there is no title and the state hwy department has to issue one. but my post was about the car only needing to go through a burnout box and around 1/3 of a mile at a time. well... now that i think about it, it would have to go through tech inspection...

BTW, this=win if you're talking about saving a rare b-body wagon.

in the 9th grade a had a saturday morning job where from 9 am to 2 pm i would wash cars at Arnett BPG. they offered free car washes for the owners of the cars. there was an older gentleman that was a real PITA about his car. grumpy and gruff you could just smell scrutiny on him. anyhoo he had a gas wagon along those lines but i think his was new prolly 87 or 86. course when there were no customer cars we washed lot cars... having the honor of driving new 95/96 firebirds and trans ams at the fresh age of 14/15 was nice.

Its too good to be in a derby. You all must have the worn 307s because mine doesnt use a drop of oil and the very little it leaks isnt even worth changing the valve cover gaskets. The 1984 Buick Park Avenue I had for a little while also had a 307 with 260,000 miles and that one didnt leak or use a drop of oil. Its the transmissions that were the weak links with these. The body is pretty good on this. There are far worse cars here that are running around. They dont do inspections where we are so it doesnt matter what you really do. I dont know if either of my cars would pass an inspection or not.