CTS-V Challenge Results from Monticello

Drew Dowdell

An automatic would possibly be a handicap on a racetrack, depending on the track.

Some day I am going to hit the stupid lotto and buy a CTS-V.

But I'd have to play the lottery first.

To me, the CTS-V is one of the hottest cars on the planet, period.

Chris

And an HHR isn't a family car at all :rolleyes:

My Grand Prix was no GTO or Corvette, but it was less a family car(and at least it was a coupe) than the HHR SS is which you praise all the time.

I never claimed the HHR as a great sports car. My praise is for the engine package and the GMPD tuning. The rest is a affordable fun to drive family wagon that is properly tuned for once. Since I own the Comp G GTP too I feel I should have a an idea what both can do. The GTP lacks the tuning.

I am sure you have a lot of seat time behind the wheel of a Eco Turbo. Hmm just as I thought....you need to go for a drive. In a better car like the coming Regal it may be able to claim the great sports sedan title. If you do go for the drive look for one with the GM tune.

The Comp GTP is poorly tuned by todays standards and shows it age by todays standards. The engine/tranny package is 1980's old. I do have to say I wish GM had used the Bosch Braking system the Comp has on more cars. Even under heavy use the pads wore well into the 60,000 mile range.

The reality is the GTP and HHR are just family cars even in two doors. To say anything more will lose creditbility.

No matter what you want to call it the SS is more enjoyable drive than the GTP. If only the Turbo has a six speed. Mmmm We might see that in the Regal?

The bottom line is John H and the GMPD team tuned the HHR turd into a very enjoyable car to drive. That is the long and short of it. Given something better to work with like the CTS they really shine.

Edited by hyperv6

Hyper, I agree with you but...

I don't think the regular HHR is a turd.

But the HHR SS and Cobalt SS/TC are simply amazing.

Chris

It is not a turd but it is good for the price you pay. You can't expect a Cayenne Turbo for the price of an HHR SS. The Cobalt and HHR SS tuning is what makes them special. Other than the CTSV and up level Vettes I have never seen GM get the tune right on the suspension like they did with these. They are good enough to make FWD something you don't hate.

Too often in the past GM always throws on big tires, springs and shocks only to perform well on pool table flat roads. I know I own two of these now. The GMPD guys leave out a little ultimate grip to offer better real world driving. The Shocks and struts on my SS are not rock hard but a sturdy but absorbing Sachs units.

When they sent out the OE tuners at GMPD and spread them around GM I was one of the few that understood that this was a good thing for GM. Think of it as a little GMPD in all their cars not just a handful.

All I can say is if you have not driven a LNF you have no idea what GM can really do with a small engine.