What should be a given?

PurdueGuy

In your opinion, what features/characteristics (measurable) should all vehicles from each brand have or at least always have as an option? Feel free to distinguish between trucks/cars, but otherwise it should be the same across the whole brand.

A few of my opinions as Examples:

Cadillac: HID projector headlights, LED signal lights all around, offer nav (maybe should be standard)

Buick: LED tail lights, fog lights, offer nav

Also feel free to do this in reverse, like:

Nav: Cadillac (standard), Buick (always available option), GMC (always available option)

So, what do you think? Let's stick to the remaining brands for simplicity.

Cadillac Standards: navigation, LEDs all around, leather, multiple zone climate control (including seats and steering wheel), real wood

Cadillac Options: AWD, new tech, performance trims, MTs

Buick Standards: color LCD radio/info displays, HIDs, LED signals, leather, single zone climate control

Buick Options: multiple zone climate control (including seats and steering wheel), real wood, navigation, AWD, new tech

GMC Standards (Sierra excluded): color LCD radio/info displays, HIDs, LED signals, single zone climate control

GMC Sierra Standards: as-is

GMC Options: multiple zone climate control (including seats and steering wheel), leather, navigation, new tech, off roadability

Chevy Standards: as-is seems pretty good for the most part

Chevy Options: leather, navigation, climate control(single or multi zone depending on vehicle), XFE/hybrid models

There are some things that I know I left off that should always be options on every vehicle such as sunroofs, parking sensors/cameras, etc.

Also, there is one thing that should not be on ANY vehicle except the lowliest of the lowly Chevies and that is steel wheels. Steel wheels make every car they've ever been on look especially bad.

I think every car should be enjoyably to drive, regardless if it has a 3-banger or a V-a-million.

I'm looking for measurable things, not vague subjective things. Some people find Geo Metros enjoyable to drive. Some people can't be pleased by $100k+ cars.

Also, there is one thing that should not be on ANY vehicle except the lowliest of the lowly Chevies and that is steel wheels. Steel wheels make every car they've ever been on look especially bad.

Gotta agree - No steel wheels on any Buick, GMC, or Caddy EVER. NEVER EVER. Only available on base model Chevys IMO.

Edited by PurdueGuy

V8 6-speed manual RWD.

But seriously,

6-speed manual (option)

HID headlights (option)

fog lights (standard)

LED taillights/turn signals (standard)

non-steel wheels (standard)

Leather appointments (standard on nearly everything but some of the cheapest chevy models and work trucks - this means no Buick with cloth)

Real materials - not imitations. If it is supposed to look like wood make it wood. Brushed aluminum? Don't give me some painted piece of chintzy plastic.

Give every car the option for nav.

Power everything, including auto up/down windows. My 10 year old BMW based on an even older design has these for every window. It is easily one of my favorite features. There is no reason it shouldn't be implemented further in this day and age.

Leather appointments (standard on nearly everything but some of the cheapest chevy models and work trucks - this means no Buick with cloth)

I've gotta disagree with this one. I know many people who simply prefer cloth, and have no interest in leather, and it's not about the cost.

I've gotta disagree with this one. I know many people who simply prefer cloth, and have no interest in leather, and it's not about the cost.

I am with you on this one. I prefer cloth no matter how expensive the car. I am glad all 3 of mine have cloth.

I'll approach this differently. Here's my personal option list. In the new GM, I can really only see myself buying from Chevy, so I guess you could call this my Chevy wish list.

Options I specifically DO NOT WANT in my cars:

Leather (just don't like the feel of it)

Integrated Nav (everything goes out of date, why have it attached permanently to your car??)

Sunroof (tall torso, it usually hits me in the head)

Automatic (let me row my own dammit)

Options I will always add to my cars, if they are not already standard:

A/C

Remote locks / power windows / power mirrors

Non-steel wheels

Nice-to-have options:

A good stereo (love my current factory integrated subwoofer)

Auto headlights (seems like a GM standard anyways)

That's pretty much it for me.