Jeep Wrangler crashes party

DETROIT -- Shattered glass at Cobo Center can mean only one thing: A new Jeep has been introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler carried Chrysler Group president Tom LaSorda through a plate glass window, across the street, up the terrace steps of the Pontchartrain Hotel and to the top of a fabricated mountain.

The new Wrangler features increased ground clearance and larger wheels. It offers more open-air options with various door, top and windshield configurations, and the interior is roomier. It comes with a 3.8-liter, 205-hp V-6. Former Chrysler president Bob Lutz pulled a similar stunt in 1992 to introduce the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Source: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...351/1148/AUTO01

Awesome.  I'd like to meet the person who though up that introduction.  Incredible.

Do you know of any other good reveal links?

Actually.......

The "reveal" of the 1993 Grand Cherokee has become a marketing benchmark as one of the best in Chrysler's storied history of auto show extravaganzas. It made banner headlines, photos, and footage on news programs. Shown on the right is the famous crash of the Grand Cherokee through a plate-glass window at the Cobo Center during the 1992 North American International Auto Show. This was a powerful introduction strengthening the new model's image before it hit the dealer lots.

Photo by Bill McCoy / Special to The Detroit News

Posted Image

And yes, that was Bob Lutz behind the wheel.

All things are cyclical.....

Does this mean GM will soon merge with BMW and build an Impala SS & Bonneville off the old BMW 5-series chassis?

For what it's worth, I said this exact same thing when the 300C hit the streets.

If BMw has to buy out GM in order to save it like Mercedes saved Chrysler then so be it. :)

What is up with the 3.8L motor?  Did they bump the displacement up to get a little extra torque  but lower the hp figures by 5????  I didn't notice this until yesterday, but every site I see shows it having a 3.8L, not the 3.7L that is in the Liberty & GC...

They might have done it for low-end torque.....the 3.8L is a pushrod motor while the 3.7L is a newer, OHC design.

However, the 3.7L in my Liberty is pretty damn torquey on the low-end so I don't know why they needed the "minivan" 3.8L engine.

Perhaps the pushrod architecture is easier for Jeep guys to modify....?

They might have done it for low-end torque.....the 3.8L is a pushrod motor while the 3.7L is a newer, OHC design.

However, the 3.7L in my Liberty is pretty damn torquey on the  low-end so I don't know why they needed the "minivan" 3.8L engine.

Perhaps the pushrod architecture is easier for Jeep guys to modify....?

Yeah that really made me scratch my head a little. I love the 3.7L in my fathers Liberty...but if it was up to me I wish they had kept the 4.0 (163,000 on my Cherokee and still going strong). Just keep hoping for the 4.7 V8 and a 5-speed auto. in the four door version and Jeep will have themselves one more sale! Thanks for the reply.

For what it's worth, I said this exact same thing when the 300C hit the streets.

If BMw has to buy out GM in order to save it like Mercedes saved Chrysler then so be it. :)

Never!!! BMW will follow Dimler's lead and cut at least one brand! It could be Cadillac :rolleyes: