A Database

Z-06

I am thinking of creating a database of ALL GM engines that have been produced since its inception. It has to be exhaustive and should include as much information as possible. Here are few keys I have thought.

1. Engine Name
  2. Introduction Date
  3. Generation
  4. Engine Type
  5. Displacement
  6. Cylinder Count
  7. Fuel Type
  8. Bore x Stroke
  9. Compression Ratio
  10. Peak Power, Torque and respective RPMS.
  11. Firing Order
  12. Horsepower, Torque vs. RPM curve
  13. CO2 emission numbers
  14. Applications in GM vehicles
  15. Dry Engine Weight
  16. Brief History

While most of the figures will be handy, the most important data which will be lacking are HP, Torque curve and CO2 emissions. The idea is to have one stop shop for all of us looking in depth about GM engines. If successful, I would love to add GM transmissions and Ford engines databases.

Help me on what else to add. Camino, Balthy will know a lot of these engines. Any documentations would be great. The start is to identify ALL the engines chronologically. Any thoughts?

My first thought is that this will be nearly impossible - there were so many permutations of each engine.

But hey, so what if it's an ongoing project.

Let us not worry about the permutations first then. We can concentrate on the base major one and go from there. It is a lot of work, but not impossible.

I can at least help with the codes and specs for '64-'72 Chevy V8s (if I can find my reference book that keeps disappearing.

It should cover A-body and a bit more for those years. I have others too.

This is a HUGE undertaking, and the format will be important.

I understand it is a huge undertaking. I wanted to do this since I became accustomed to GM. I cannot do it all by myself therefore need help, especially when it comes to gathering data.

I was also thinking about adding pictures.

Let us talk about the format and which one/s would be the optimal in storing and presenting the database.

I understand it is a huge undertaking. I wanted to do this since I became accustomed to GM. I cannot do it all by myself therefore need help, especially when it comes to gathering data.

I was also thinking about adding pictures.

Let us talk about the format and which one/s would be the optimal in storing and presenting the database.

Maybe the best idea would be to post some examples of how the references present the data and then choose a standard.

It would also be helpful to determine how to create sub-categories.

The reference I am talking about keys off of the engine RPO code and block stamping code.

This is fictional, but it would look something like this:

CXT 454 cu. in. V8 A-body 4-speed close ratio man. trans. 450HP xxxtorque

That info would be presented in a graph with a notation following that would read something like:

Chevelle 454 RPO LS6 SS coupe and sedan pickup.

In some years there are many versions of each engine depending on transmission, induction, head casting materials, and so on - each with different HP and torque specs,engine stampings and RPO codes.