Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Crazy Idea

Ok, many car companies have decided to dip into their history and make new models out of old designs...why not saturn? I was thinking the Saturn 90's series....take the late 90's coupes and sedans, completly update them but give them the same feeling because many saturn owners love their 98 sl2 or 96 sc! So why not redo those models and reintroduce them? I donb't know, its some very random idea that I had last night

I couldn't agree more! The ION was a very poor replacement for the S Series. It's like they said, "Let's take the S Series, downgrade components, make it less efficient and slower, and give it really cute styling that would appeal to a 14 year old girl." :)

I just bought a used 2000 SL2 to replace my '97 (which had 220,000 miles on it). I wish I had purchased a 2002 SL2 before they were discontinued. The only thing I didn't like about the later S Series Saturns is that they eliminated 4 wheel disc brakes, and had rear drums on all trim levels. A harbinger of things to come, I guess. Even the name ION is too "cute"...it's like they decided to write off straight males entirely in their marketing! ;)

Had I known it would be the last good Saturn, I would have bought a 2002 SL2 in black or charcoal, with every option including alloy wheels, spoiler, sunroof, fog lamps, etc. Fully loaded used Saturns are very rare, I have found. I settled on one with alloys, ABS/traction, dual CD/cassette, but no spoiler, sunroof, or fog lamps.

If you were to give the Mazda 3 dent resistant polymer body panels, that would be pretty close to what the S Series replacement should have been!

It won't matter now since Saturn is going upscale. The Ion replacement will be more expensive since it's basically going to be a rebadged Opel Astra or at least styled like the Astra. It's still up in the air from what I've read. Anyway.. you can be sure it will be an upscale compact vehicle. Anyone with full knowledge correct me.

Edited by Cadillacfan

WAAAAAAAAAAAY too soon. Early 90s retro is not a pretty sight in 2006. :P

Retro only works if the model is a "classic".

Ever heard of the expression:

How can I miss you if you will not leave?

Well I know I'd buy another '92 SC styled coupe if it had an updated interior and the 2.4 ECOTECH or 2.0 Turbo.

I'd buy one...

Also, Sixty8, retro is anything going back according to the dictionary. And *gasp* there are many great designs from the 90s and *gasp* some people *gasp* like *gasp* them *gasp* *gasp* *gasp*. Not everyone *gasp* wants a *gasp* retro-1st-gen *gasp* 5th gen *gasp* Camaro. *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* Can *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* you *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* believe *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* it *gasp* *gasp* *gasp*? Going *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* by *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* your *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* posts *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* I *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* wouldn't *gasp* *gasp* *gasp*.