Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The NOS Perspective: NAIAS '06

Overall, not a bad show. Only my second time ever attending (the first time was the year the SRT-10 was unveiled), but I had a great time. Woke up at 6:45 with my two friends, got to Tim Horton's by 7:45 and we were at Cobo by 8:15 (good thing this dude in a Celica was pacing around 90 because we kept with him the whole way.. ranging from 75-105 MPH lmao). Then, we stood in lines until about 9:10. Suddenly, I was yelling at my friends to "hurry your asses up.. my f***ing car's waiting!" They laughed and I pretty much ran to the Camaro (thanks so much for your "Aiyeee! Camaro! Camaro!" map, Chris). Which leads me to the list (concepts first, then production models, then overall brand stages):

Chevrolet Camaro Concept - Amazing fit and finish. Truly is better than what you see in the pictures. True dual exhaust, lots of room under the hood to work, and just an overall great looking car. It kept a steady crowd all day that closely rivaled the Challenger (at times the Challenger was more popular and at others, the Camaro). Just an amazing concept with enormous rims/tires. I really didn't appreciate the taillights much until seeing them in person, and, Lord, they're gorgeous. I can't wait to see mine (or just sit in one, whichever's first).

Dodge Challenger Concept - "Yes, unfortunately I said concept, but this model may very well make production by the 2007 model year." I heard that over and over, as the announcers said it all day. I bet I'm too late to report, but I think the styling's far too similar to the '69. The LEDs around the headlights look cool though. The color, "Challenger Orange in contrast to the old color, Hemi Orange," was too bright for me, but had a nice sparkle at certain angles. And, as I said, the crowd was pretty huge all day long.

Buick Enclave Concept - Wow! This thing is gorgeous! It's the first SUV I looked at during the show and it thoroughly impressed me. Very spirited looking and the interior looks great thus far. Love the headlights.

Ford Reflex Concept - This is a sweet little ride. I still think the "hump" over the rear wheels is a bit exaggerated, but not as much as I first thought viewing the pictures. I love the headlights and facial treatments this thing got. Taillights need work (remind me of Lincoln for some reason), but it has "butterfly doors" (as I heard), net-like seats (also a creative touch), and is pretty damn cool.

Ford F-250 Super Chief Concept - Damn! This thing's a beast! I think the blue oval on the tailgate is as large as my head! This'll never make production, but I definitely see it being in some type of Ahnold movie.

Aston Martin Rapide Concept - This is the most beautiful sedan I've ever laid my eyes on. I am truly in love with it. I'd love to just see one on the street as it is pure sex.

Mazda Kabura Concept - Very Mazda, but very ugly. It would've been much better with the headlight/tailight covers like in the Automobile Mag pics, but they were exposed and ugly. Only neat part is that I think the short side doors push into the body to open, but I'm not positive...

Lincoln MKS Concept - Another wow for the domestic side! I really, really like this and hope it makes production. It is an amazing looking vehicle and looks much better than the pictures (which is saying a lot). Very elegant, yet sporty. I seriously hope to see one on the streets...

Volvo C30 Concept - This thing had very fresh headlights, but the rest was very off.. Plus, I don't recommend staring at its ass because you'll almost vomit. Almost.

Chrysler Imperial Concept - Big! I like it, actually. The taillights are sweet and it's very luxurious looking. MUCH, much better looking in person than photos. Take my word for it.

Acura RDX Prototype - Not very conceptual.. it looked pretty road-ready. Not a bad vehicle, but could be a bit more "modern" in terms of upcoming 2006-2008 luxury SUVs.

Audi Roadjet Concept - This is one schweet wagon. Really. I love the headlamp design and overall face on it. I could definitely see this hitting production. And I could definitely see this being chopped as a Pontiac for some reason...

BMW Z4 Coupe Concept - Okay, now I finally like this vehicle. It looks great with the coupe greenhouse rather than the ragtop. Only thing is I'd give the rear of the greenhouse more of a 350Z shape than the ducktale-esque spoiler they gave it.

Honda FCX Concept - Okay, so this thing defines ugly. No doubt about it. Trying to be smooth and sleek, it comes across as a stretched out, then bloated Civic. Ouch.

Hyundai HCD9 Talus Concept - I sure hope they're not gonna brag over this one. I like the headlights, but they're pure concept and nowhere near production. It's too far off the ground, IMO, and is big and blobby. Next, please.

Infiniti Coupe Concept - Well, let's see. Take a G35 Coupe. Add some chrome. Add new headlights. Add slightly modified taillights. Say it's a concept. Nice looking, but that's obvious given what I've said.

Lamborghini Miura Concept - Looks much better in person than in pics. The headlights are amazing and MUCH MUCH better than what one could ever perceive from the pictures shown to us.

Subaru B5-TPH Concept - Well, I liked it's headlights. The rest of it was straight up weird. I didn't see one person circle it. Not one. Sorry, Subaru.

Toyota Fine-T Concept - Oh yes. Mighty fine. Excuse me while I choke myself... I literally laughed my ass off looking at this thing. Seriously, it redefines odd/strange/unruly.

*Production models and full-layout gradings will come later.

Edited by NOS2006

Great write up NOS. You seem a bit headlight obsessed?

This year will be #3 for me, having gone 2003 and 2004. Last year, it didnt seem worth it. Mostly ugly crossovers.

In about 12 hours (of this post), I should be entering Cobo! :o

Great write up NOS. You seem a bit headlight obsessed?

*chuckles*

That just might have double meaning ;).

Seriously, though ... great write-up, buddy! Sure wish I coulda been there to see those vehicles, too. Ah, well....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

What's it like to buy your favorite car brand new? Wish I knew...

That just might have double meaning ;).

Seriously, though ... great write-up, buddy!  Sure wish I coulda been there to see those vehicles, too.  Ah, well....

In that case.. yep. Headlight obsessed. :P

Really though, the headlights, taillights, and rims are major things that can make/break the vehicle. I always check those first. Most likely if I don't like a few of those things, I won't like the car...

Also, it's okay you didn't go. Stuff happens, ya know; things that you can't personally control and even though it may piss you off here and there, we've just got to go with the flow, Joe.

Yeah, I did enjoy looking at the MKX. I think the simple fact that it's NOT stereotypically Lincoln-esque and more wild is a strong point on it. I didn't get close enough to check out the interior, but I liked what I saw otherwise. Especially the taillight panel. Only thing is that the grille was a bit of an overkill.. it needs only one horizontal bar; that would be much classier.

Enclave did have a steady crowd; always someone around it. Never a HUGE crowd, but people saw it. I'd say it were about even with the Suburban throughout the day, which is definitely a good thing.

Edited by NOS2006

Great read NOS...

First year for the Challenger was 1970, not 1969.

Although the styling of both the old and new one borrows VERY heavily from the 1969 Camaro. Perhaps that is what you were trying to say?

In that case.. yep. Headlight obsessed. :P

Heh...me, too ;).

Also, it's okay you didn't go. Stuff happens, ya know; things that you can't personally control and even though it may piss you off here and there, we've just got to go with the flow, Joe.

Oh, I know.... Just...arg. Frustrating ... very frustrating...heh.

Yeah.. 'twas fun:

Posted Image

After 1, 2, 3.. we struck a pose. haha

EDIT: haha he makes me look so pale :P

Hey NOS, what's up with the "West side" you are throwing with your left hand? :P

Northstar: there wasn't really a crowd around the Enclave when I passed by. Maybe it was because they weren't anouncing/discussing anything about the car. In contrast to the Camaro display, which was packed the entire time.