System Wax Vs. Clay/wax?

Okay, I'm just wondering which you guys do...and what you think does better.

I've heard of bit of everything the last few weeks.

I've always done very well using a system wax (Mothers/Meg's), and the paint on my cars are in great shape.

I've debated about using a clay bar on the Cobalt to see if I can really bring the paint out. As a matter of fact, it was the only car that did not get a system wax last year.

Your thought on the subject?

For the big 2-3 times a year wax jobs you are supposed to clay it first (after washing and drying) to get all of the debris off the paint. You'd be amazed what it will pick up. Then with a clean surfaces you got o work on the paint.

True, but the cleaner wax I used did an amazing job....many people even asked what clay bar I used....but I see what you are saying....

I consider them both to be the same amount of effort. I ended up using the wax system instead because the product was always handy in a bottle, I had plenty of buffer pads, and the buffer did all the major work on the large surfaces while hand-cleaning took care of the nooks and crannies. Three steps: Prewax cleaner (fantastic results if done right); then the sealer for the added protection before finally putting on the wax coats. After that, if the sealer remains in good condition, all I ever had to do was wash and wax. I'd check the paint over after drying to see if there was any remaining debris and it would remain clean for 1/4 to 1/2 of the year, depending upon air quality where I drove.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh finally something I can chime in on... Clay bars have worked about half the time for me, the other half of the time I am still going after things with other products. If you keep your cars waxed and clean (most of the time) your need for a clay bar will be greatly reduced. They do work for certain things but I don't fall into the group that can't live without them. I have been exclusively using Meg's Gold Class Paste Wax for the past two years, although not cheap it does a wonderful job and holds up very well. I have decided either spend the money and get the good stuff or forget it...

Edited by gm4life