Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Regal GS

PONTIAC06

I got an email today from Buick about the new Regal and noticed something odd at the very end...

Born in Europe. Raised on the Autobahn. The sport-injected 2011 Buick Regal is powered and tuned to deliver the precise, agile handling of a premium sport sedan, coming Spring 2010.

Regal comes standard with a 2.4L ECOTEC™ SIDI Variable-valve timing engine that puts out 182 hp. Plus, it's paired with a 6-speed transmission that features Driver Shift Control. And to make your driving experience that much more dynamic, Regal boasts a class-exclusive Interactive Driver Control system that offers three selectable modes to adjust suspension, steering, throttle and transmission settings in real time for a personalized driving experience.

You can see why the excitement for Regal is already in full swing. Since the reveal at the L.A. Auto Show in December, its good looks and performance have the press clamoring for more. In fact, CarandDriver.com lauded Regal saying, "...it's handsome to look at." (November 2009)

And to keep the good buzz for Regal going, Buick has just announced a turbo-powered 280 HP Regal GS Concept.

Get to know the 2011 Regal and Regal GS on Buick.com or become a fan of Buick on Facebook.

Do you think it's just a typo, or are they planning a boost for production?

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email today from Buick about the new Regal and noticed something odd at the very end...

Born in Europe. Raised on the Autobahn. The sport-injected 2011 Buick Regal is powered and tuned to deliver the precise, agile handling of a premium sport sedan, coming Spring 2010.

Regal comes standard with a 2.4L ECOTEC™ SIDI Variable-valve timing engine that puts out 182 hp. Plus, it's paired with a 6-speed transmission that features Driver Shift Control. And to make your driving experience that much more dynamic, Regal boasts a class-exclusive Interactive Driver Control system that offers three selectable modes to adjust suspension, steering, throttle and transmission settings in real time for a personalized driving experience.

You can see why the excitement for Regal is already in full swing. Since the reveal at the L.A. Auto Show in December, its good looks and performance have the press clamoring for more. In fact, CarandDriver.com lauded Regal saying, "...it's handsome to look at." (November 2009)

And to keep the good buzz for Regal going, Buick has just announced a turbo-powered 280 HP Regal GS Concept.

Get to know the 2011 Regal and Regal GS on Buick.com or become a fan of Buick on Facebook.

Do you think it's just a typo, or are they planning a boost for production?

The concept shown had the turbo V6 from the Insignia OPC in it. I believe that is what that statement is talking about.

The OPC has 325 HP V6 If I recall.

Buick originally stated the GS might have 250 HP if it came to market. 10 HP less than the Cobalt SS and HHR SS.

GM also has a history of bring cars to market with more HP than stated over the last few years.

GM also has the much delayed upgrade for the Cobalt SS coming and guess what it has 280 HP with 320 FT-LB. All it takes to change HP is change the T maps and reflast the computer. Nothing else is needed. If they wanted to go over 300 HP they can do that too if they really want to. The only limit on the HHR and Cobalt has been the transaxle. But with the AWD option I could see them adding more later if needed.

THe 2.0 can do much more than we have already seen. It just never had a good tranny.

I spoke to the engineer this week that is heading the upgrade for the Cobalt and they may offer a stage 2 later for the Cobalt SS. He would not say why the upgrade kit is 10 HP done and 5 HP up FT-LB up from the HHR.

The kit is getting cleared for California and all 50 states and should be released soon.

It's one of two things...

The earliest rumors (I think from Lutz when the standard Regal was initially discussed) was that there could be a high performance version with a 280hp V-6. Not sure if this was or was not ever planned as the LaCrosse CXS 3.6 litre which makes 280hp. So your message may relate to some old legacy of something once planned.

The second possibility is that, while the GS show car was said to receive a 255hp motor if it went to production, we've subsequently heard rumors that that number could or would be bumped up a bit. A bump from 255 to 280 sounds reasonable. (I don't expect 300hp.) Combined with above-mentioned expectation that the new Cobalt may come in at 280hp, your message may relate to something concrete about the hp numbers now planned for the GS.