Car slams into storefront in Fitchburg

post-1757-12650899404112.jpg

FITCHBURG, Mass. -- A 79-year old driver plowed into a store in Fitchburg on Monday afternoon.

The elderly woman not only accelerated into the building, but she drove over two curbs before crashing right through the storefront window.

Firefighters pulled the woman out of her car and away from a sheet of broken glass that was hanging just inches from her head.

Fortunately, she was able to walk away.

“My first reaction...how did she do that,” said Simone Shoruy, who filmed the accident scene.

Shoruy immediately rushed to the scene.

“It looked like she was parking. She opened her door and before she even got out or anything, the door shut and she just accelerated into the building,” said Shoruy.

Shoruy ran to the woman’s side, told her to stay put, and asked her what happened.

“She doesn’t remember. She just remembers hearing a loud noise and then being in the store,” said Shoruy.

In the process, the woman’s car grazed a female employee who was sitting inside.

“This could have been a lot worse for the people that work there and for herself. I mean, this could have been a traumatic event,” said Shoruy.

The 79-year old driver declined medical attention. She has been cited with failure to use caution.

(Copyright © 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO134603/

My first inclination is to assume that she forgot a few steps when she chose to exit the car, then stepped on the gas for leverage to get her butt out of the driver's seat before rocketing off when she took her foot off the clutch. This just doesn't speak to me as though it has anything to do with Toyota's unintended acceleration issue. I mean, who the hell has their car running in gear when they open their door?

Edited by ShadowDog

My first inclination is to assume that she forgot a few steps when she chose to exit the car, then stepped on the gas for leverage to get her butt out of the driver's seat before rocketing off when she took her foot off the clutch. This just doesn't speak to me as though it has anything to do with Toyota's unintended acceleration issue. I mean, who the hell has their car running in gear when they open their door?

Yeah, sounds like her foot slipped off the clutch pedal.

Why are you guys assuming it's a manual? Either way, I would also not be too quick to say this is unintended acceleration (in the recall related sense), vs a case of an older person who shouldn't be driving anymore and overlooked some important steps in parking.

i'd say it's her fault... yes i noticed it's an MR2 immediately... but if it was "unintended"/stuck, she could not have stopped to open the door in the first place.

reminds me of that video someone found of the old woman driving her old car that has, what.. 400K+ on it...she was all for older people getting retested for their license.

Why are you guys assuming it's a manual? Either way, I would also not be too quick to say this is unintended acceleration (in the recall related sense), vs a case of an older person who shouldn't be driving anymore and overlooked some important steps in parking.

It would surprise me more if it weren't a manual. Regardless, it seems more than reasonable that her other foot hit the gas like she was stomping grapes.