Mercedes’ Goal: 30,000 S-class Sales in the US

Mercedes’ Goal: 30,000 S-class Sales in the US

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/07/06, 8:07 am et

Mercedes-Benz is betting that a 70 percent loyalty rate, a sleeker look and new features will push annual US sales of the new S-class upper-premium sedan to 30,000.

The US is the largest market for the S class, accounting for up to 50 percent of annual sales.

Bernhard Glaser, general manager for US marketing and product management at Mercedes, predicts the S class will continue to lead sales in the luxury segment.

Glaser says this segment has annual sales of 80,000 units in the US.

“We defined leadership in this segment with every launch and every generation of the S class,” says Glaser. “We set the benchmark, and every time we raise the bar for our outgoing model just a little bit higher.”

Typically, S-class volume in the US market is between 20,000 and 25,000 units annually, says Glaser.

Radar and infrared

The S class continues to push the technology envelope with features such as:

*An upgraded radar-based Brake Assist Plus feature that increases the intensity of driver braking if it detects the risk of a crash.

*An advanced Pre-Safe occupant protection feature that closes the sunroof and windows, adjusts seats, inflates bolsters and backrests and tightens driver and front seat belts if the car senses an imminent crash.

*A cruise control system called Distronic Plus with an extended sensing field. It automatically brakes if the vehicle in front stops and then automatically again starts driving when the preceding vehicle moves.

*Park Assist, which uses a rear camera and short-range radar up to 36 feet that gives warnings on the instrument panel and an audible beep.

*Night vision that uses infrared technology with two special headlamps that can detect a person in white clothing up to 210 meters away and in dark clothing more than 150 meters away.

The S class has as standard keyless entry, a start/stop button similar to that on the BMW 7 series and an electronic seven-speed automatic gear selector mounted on the steering wheel.

The sedan has an electronic parking brake and a new-generation Comand system similar to BMW’s iDrive.

Mercedes says the standard Comand system, with its eight-inch color display screen, is easier to use than the previous-generation system, and includes voice control.

The S class went on sale in the US this month. It launched in Europe last autumn.

Link: http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...1024/LATESTNEWS

*An upgraded radar-based Brake Assist Plus feature that increases the intensity of driver braking if it detects the risk of a crash.

Ohh, so the upgrade prevents the car from slamming into another one. Nice change from the old one, Mercedes.

Collision Insurance. Like None Other.

The new S-Class has a cheap-looking interior, and the exterior wheel arches are disgusting. Get rid of that, and change those, then maybe I would like it. Oh, wait, I'll take my Audi A8L 6.0 W12 quattro.

I don't see it.

I think the car's nasty from a styling standpoint.

Oh, I'm sure it will drive amazingly well.....but I can't stand to look at it.

Our S500 ('05 model) is about to get bought back by DCX....with only 11,000 miles on it. Meanwhile, the X5 we have with about the same mileage has never had a squeak of a problem.

There's no way in hell we'd replace it with another Benz product.