GMT800 Trucks Recalled

Guest Josh

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. is recalling 804,000 full-size pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of potential brake problems, federal safety regulators said Tuesday. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said unwanted application of the antilock brake system in some vehicles can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed braking and may result in a crash. Vehicles affected by the recall include the Chevrolet Avalanche and Silverado pickups and the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs. The GMC Sierra pickup and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs are also affected. All 804,000 vehicles trucks are from the 1999-2002 model years, NHTSA said. GM, the world's largest automaker, had more vehicle recalls than any other manufacturer in the United States last year. Separately, NHTSA said Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. was recalling 36,000 of its Sonata cars from the 2006 model year because their front seat belts may interfere with the manual seat back recliner knob. The seat belt may cause unexpected release of the front seat back recliner, potentially resulting in an injury to passengers, NHTSA said. In a more limited safety action, the agency said Ford Motor Co.'s Land Rover unit was recalling 17,263 Land Rover LR3 SUVs to replace potentially defective fuel tanks. The vehicles are from the 2005 model year.

The seat belt may cause unexpected release of the front seat back recliner, potentially resulting in an injury to passengers, NHTSA said.

So basically if someone's leaning back in the seat while driving, it could automatically recline on them and probably make them jerk the steering wheel one way or the other because of it.

The LR3 thing does sound bad, I'm wondering if it's just something to do with effecting the fuel gauge.

The GMT800 one is not too good either, but at least it still stops. Who knows, maybe the people just had brakes with 200,000 miles on them and they're worthless now.

ya northstar about the poeple with the worn brakes "I wonder what that metal on metal sound is when i try to stop" When poeple get a car they should tell them about basic car maintance it sounds to me like its the spongy brake issue they prolly just bleed in new fluid and put new pads on. that wouldn't be fun haveing your seat recline when your driving the LR3 doesnt sound that bad unless impurity get into the engine. i thought with the extensive testing now auto companies would have fewwer recalls but i guess there is not enough testing

The GM recall must be because of the rusty ABS sensor problem that some customers have been reporting for a few years. The ABS sensors get rusty, don't work as well, and ABS kicks in before it should. I encountered the exact same problem on my Prizm. ABS kicked in way too soon when braking at slow speeds and increased my stopping distance by quite a bit. It almost felt like I lost my brakes. It is a common problem for many vehicles with ABS in the rust belt, regardless of manufacturer. The fix is to scrape the rust off the sensors and apply a sealant to prevent the rust from coming back. I assume that the post 2002 vehicles have corrected sensors.

Clueless customer: Can you take that sqeally thing off the brakes? It's driving me nuts! Ha ha ha  . . .

Wildmanjoe: I'm sorry Ms., that's a safety feature that's supposed let you know when the brakes are low.

CC: So can you make it stop squealing?

WMJ: Yes, if I replace the brake pads and turn the rotors the lathe.

CC: Stop . . . using big words. Can you make it stop squealing or not?

WMJ: Yes, if I replace  . . .

CC: Can you make it stop squealing without replacing anything?

WMJ: *Mentally strangling customer* No, we would have to replace the pads.

CC: I'll just skip it then, I'm sure whatever it is will stop on it's own. *Gets in car and drives off.*

WMJ: %$#@& Norbert! Will you stop letting customers into the work area! It's you service writers job to deal with those idiots not me!

Norbert: She asked to see you! I said OK!

WMJ: *Shoots imaginary death ray at Norbert and goes back to work.*

Yeah, that really happened. We got the recall notice today about the brakes today. It doesn't look as bad as the one about the fuel tanks, though.

[post="6684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFLMAO

I dealt with a couple of idoits that think that brakes are somthing that will always work and never fail.

Or they have no idea that the brakes are worn before that particular noise happens

there are idoits out there

New high school class Basic Automotive

Clueless customer: Can you take that sqeally thing off the brakes? It's driving me nuts! Ha ha ha  . . .

Wildmanjoe: I'm sorry Ms., that's a safety feature that's supposed let you know when the brakes are low.

CC: So can you make it stop squealing?

WMJ: Yes, if I replace the brake pads and turn the rotors the lathe.

CC: Stop . . . using big words. Can you make it stop squealing or not?

WMJ: Yes, if I replace  . . .

CC: I'll just skip it then, I'm sure whatever it is will stop on it's own. *Gets in car and drives off.*

WMJ: %$#@& Norbert! Will you stop letting customers into the work area! It's you service writers job to deal with those idiots not me!

Norbert: She asked to see you! I said OK!

WMJ: *Shoots imaginary death ray at Norbert and goes back to work.*

Yeah, that really happened. We got the recall notice today about the brakes today. It doesn't look as bad as the one about the fuel tanks, though.

[post="6684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its that or you tell the client that they should do some regular maintenace. they skip it then when something goes wrong with the vehicle the give you the "is it covered by warranty?"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
ROFLMAO

I dealt with a couple of idoits that think that brakes are somthing that will always work and never fail.

Or they have no idea that the brakes are worn before that particular noise happens

there are idoits out there

New high school class Basic Automotive

[post="6944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i think they should teach you that at driving school. teach you how to change a tire check your oil. just basic checks on your vehicle so you dont have idiots come in and wast your time with mechanic.

It's people like that which make me so pissed . . . because then the come in and need new rotors because of the the 1/2" gash in the rotor. . . then they think were trying to rip them off! :blink: :angry: