Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

To my stupidity...

In reality, most proportions could be RWD. However, the ideal proportions include a long hood with some space between the door and front wheel and a somewhat short deck with some rear overhang. Basically in a nutshell, that's it. But, I prefer short front and rear ends with minimal overhang. Regardless of the drive wheels.

A little visual comparison

Catera (RWD) Long overhang
Posted Image

Malibu (FWD) Long overhang (uh.. let's ignore the wheels too :P )
Posted Image

CTS (RWD) Short overhang
Posted Image

tried to find another car that's simular in size to the other 3 that's fwd and short over hang but I came up with nothing...

The exception the other way would be ferraris- they have God-awful frontal overhangs. enzo's is like 3 feet- I don't know how you can execute tight turns in one!

[post="7655"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's the case with most mid-engined sports cars... it's nice to know the G6 has something in common with a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Aside from overhang length, a huge giveaway is the space between the front door's cutline and the front wheel. When the space between is relatively large, the car is usually RWD. When the space is limited, the car is usually FWD. Take a look:

The RWD BMW 3 Series:

Posted Image

The FWD Chevrolet Impala:

Posted Image

While there are exceptions (previous-gen Acura RL, Mini Cooper, etc), the above theory generally holds true.

Hope that helps.

Once again, though, there are exceptions. Take the FWD Prelude. It had quite a bit of space inbetween there. Another being the RL posted above. And for RWD, the 4th and/or 3rd gen F-bodies. They did not have much space inbetween there compared with most RWDers. Also, as empowah said, Mid-engined vehicles tend to have long front overhangs. Including my baby... the Fiero. Edited by blackviper8891