Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Valve Spring Removal

Well ok, the 2nd tool I bought today would work but the gap between the part the seats on top of te spring is too wide and keeps slipping off. It's also cheaply made, as both arms are bent now, I had to bend them back. If I can find some kind of spacer to put on it so it seats properly i can properly compress the spring...maybe a big washer...

Anyone here done it (with the heads on)? I'm having trouble getting either of the two types of spring compressors to get a grip on the springs. Any tips? I'll get some pics up in a few.

I'd have to see pictures, I haven't had a problem doing this on GM stuff, so I can't visualize the problem.

But before you go too far with this, I'm assuming you know you have to prevent the valves from dropping into the cylinder, right? Are you using compressed air for this or are you filling the cylinder with rope?

There is this

, if it helps.

Wondered how long it would take for this post to appear :P

Thinking the same thing. No offense meant towards your mechanical skill, DF, its a just hard job to do.

I picked up the tool this morning..surprised it was Lisle and not CarQuest branded...pleased that it was Made in USA, and thrilled that it took 30 seconds to do what the other 2 tools failed to do in 2 days. As soon as I get home this afternoon I'm getting straight to work. I figure that since I'm here, I might as well replace the valve seals as well.

30 seconds to remove...30 hours to install. I can't get enough leverage to get them back on using the tool, the closest I get is teh first notch of 2 for the keepers...and my palm is sore. I managed to get one on by compressing the spring with teh spring compressor and then placing it in the engine. The 2nd one it keeps slipping off. Morning of driving + afternoon and evening of this + 90 degree weather means I'm calling it a day. Maybe in 12 days I'll get all 12 done...and my palm will be very bruised. :P