2010 Ford Taurus SEL

I put a couple hundred miles on a metallic black w/ charcoal cloth interior '10 Taurus SEL in Orange County (Ca) over the weekend. Picked it up Friday afternoon at John Wayne airport (after some confusion w/ Thrifty-I'd reserved a Charger, almost had an Impala that was low on gas, then got the Taurus). Had a nice mix of freeway gridlock driving, city driving, beach town driving, winding roads, etc. The car had 28,xxx miles.

Impressions: Big, solid car. Love the dash design and detailing. Lots of useful cubbholes, cupholders, etc. One of nicer cloth interiors I've seen recently. Wished it had a sunroof since it was dark inside.

Positives: Very comfortable. Distinctive exterior design...I love the detailing on the lighting and the profile overall..the dark color helps reduce the visual thickness and slabsidedness. Looks tall and narrow from behind. Plenty of trunk room, short decklid.

Negatives: thick pillars, some blindspots, (upper part of the A-pillars are very thick), can't see the ends of the car when parallel parking, smallish rear window view. Some inconsistencies in the options--power drivers' seat, but manual passenger seat! Confusing HVAC controls at first, but figured them out. Definitely noticed the size in some tight underground parking garages and crowded parking lots.

Driving: Quiet, very smooth. Reasonable acceleration. Good steering feel for a FWD sedan. Gave it some welly on a few winding roads above Dana Point, made the front tires sqweal and got some mild torque steer.

All in all, a very nice package. It would be my choice for a good all-around daily driver amongst the current mainstream FWD sedans (then again, the only other recent ones I've driven is the '10 Fusion and the '09 Sonata). Not sure which interior trim I'd gravitate towards, the faux turned aluminum in the SEL or the plood of the Limited. I think I'd like a lighter tan interior.

Snapped a few pics this morning.

ocweekend003-vi.jpg

ocweekend004-vi.jpg

ocweekend005-vi.jpg

ocweekend006-vi.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

i'd say that's pretty spot on for a review, based upon my short test drive of a similar taurus.

it really does make a good account of itself for a car. I didn't like the thin steering wheel on the one I drove, and I thought it was kind of soft and had slower steering with a lack of feel. But for most folks that would be spot on, especially for a big car.

surprised, i didn't think ford was renting new taurus'...ah times are hard even for ford.

John Wayne airport, i've been there a few times. For some weird reason i never minded coming into and out of that airport. It's not so freaking huge. And its low key. I kind of like the area around there.

what did you think of the T bar shifter? I hated it actually. T bar shifters to me are relics from a bygone era.

the fender vents need to leave, too.

How do you feel about this car compared to a Charger or 300?

Edited by regfootball

I forgot the obligatory comment on the interior plastics. Overall, decent, many of the surfaces were hard, but generally didn't feel cheap or flimsy..seemed tightly put together. I do wish the sides of the huge center console were padded, though, I did thwack my tight knee on it a couple of times..

John Wayne airport, i've been there a few times. For some weird reason i never minded coming into and out of that airport. It's not so freaking huge. And its low key. I kind of like the area around there.

I like that airport..easier to deal w/ than LAX. First time I'd been in and out of there, I've always gone in and out of LAX or San Diego airport when visiting So Cal. I should have studied a map closer, got turned around and lost a couple times leaving the airport..

what did you think of the T bar shifter? I hated it actually. T bar shifters to me are relics from a bygone era.

I liked the shifter. Put it in manual mode a couple times to play w/ the flappy paddles.

the fender vents need to leave, too.

I didn't really notice them..kind of an overused detail in recent years, I think.

How do you feel about this car compared to a Charger or 300?

Not sure..I like the Charger and 300, esp. for the RWD and V8 availability, but I've never driven either of them. Sat in them, ridden in a 300 a few years ago briefly. I like the Taurus more than the Impala, I've driven a couple recent Impalas. I might try and get a rental Charger on one of my trips in the next few months.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I've always enjoyed the magnum. i drove an SRT 300 once and thought it was a really nice car. something to be proud of owning. all the LX's have extremely long wheelbases to me though. really makes em feel large, even if they are fairly agile for their large dimensions.

Edited by regfootball