Don't forget to check your rear view mirror fluid.

SAmadei

So, it may sound like something that you'd find at the auto repair place between the muffler bearings and turn signal fluid... but it seems there is some nasty fluid in some rear view mirrors.

Apparently, GM auto-dimming mirrors (and some other makes that use the same supplier) have a caustic substance in the mirror... and after a number of years and/or sufficient heat... they can explode or leak.

How did I find out? Well, the '99 Grand Prix after spending a lifetime in the northeast, has started to leak once it has been in the hot Cali sun. Just driving along, the car made some pops... and the mirror fogged up and started to leak.

After some research, it turns out the liquid can stain the seats, carpet, strip finishes or melt interior parts. Some apparently can explode and the liquid can be inhaled causing health issues.

Obviously, I guess I need to find a mirror... but I figured I should warn you guys, as I have NEVER heard of sure a crazy thing.

My Riviera has the auto dimming rear view mirror and driver's side mirror, so far no leaking from either unit and they're almost 16 years old now. That said, my driver's side mirror has discolored over the past few years and now has a sort of brownish/bronze tint to it.

Yes, get it taken care of ASAP. It is an electrically conducive liquid for the auto dimming. Similar stuff is used in some exterior mirrors for the heating function. Had a white Escalade one time, the guy's mirror got hit and the stuff leaked, splattered the whole side of the truck. We had to PAINT IT because of that stuff.