A World Without General Motors?

Is this bankruptcy story like a game of musical chairs with the media? You know, they pass the story around while the music plays and then when the music stops the media conglomerate with the story still in its hands has to publish it!

Perhap I am getting jaded and cynical as I get older, but truly I am getting just exhausted with the media saturating the market with whatever THEY decide is the cause of the week, month, or whatever!

MOre and more I am convinced that the media no longer reports the news, they create it.

Let's face it: if the media keeps printing stories like this one, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It will scare so many prospective customers and so many investors that nobody will buy anything from GM.

Or is that Wallstreet's hidden agenda?

If GM declares bankruptcy, I believe that Holden, Opel, Vauxhall, GM China, and Daewoo will survive, as will truck production in North America, but I think that car production in North America will be slashed, with only larger and performance models surviving. GM will have to break the UAW and eliminate the benefits for retirees to compete with the transplants

Whether GM declares bankrupcy or not the UAW is gone. Make no mistake about it. The retiree benefits will probably be slashed too either way.

Thinking about the other divisions does make the prospect of the parts being greater than the whole interesting - for an ever so brief moment only.

If GM declares bankruptcy, I believe that Holden, Opel, Vauxhall, GM China, and Daewoo will survive, as will truck production in North America, but I think that car production in North America will be slashed, with only larger and performance models surviving.  GM will have to break the UAW and eliminate the benefits for retirees to compete with the transplants

Whether GM declares bankrupcy or not the UAW is gone. Make no mistake about it. The retiree benefits will probably be slashed too either way.

Thinking about the other divisions does make the prospect of the parts being greater than the whole interesting - for an ever so brief moment only.

Thats Laughable. You know the only way down that road is nuclear. GM would be left a parceled off bit player.

GMAP would be taken over by SAIC entirely. GMNA would cease to Exist. GME would be propped up by the local governments short term. GM South America/ Africa would be sold off.

There's no Surving the Nuclear option for GM.

These doom and gloom stories about GM are tiresome! It seems that Wallstreet wants GM to fail because here in America we love all things foreign!!

a GM bankruptcy would be the final deathnail in the UAW's coffin. GM will finally be able to compete.

Its just Silly. Who Buys GM vehicles. Fleets , Employees, Retirees thier families, and a very Few General public. The anger that would erupt among all those loyal GM Buyers longterm would take a generation and a half before bygones would be bygones. Short Term no one would buy from an automaker in Bancruptcy. America would Simply wholely Embrace Toyota. GM vehicles would be a Periah on the sales Floor.

And on top of it GMs debts and liabilities are so massive. Restructuring would be out of the Question. If GM goes Bancrupt. Its an Auction.

Edited by Ghost Dog

The below quote says it all. Everyone seems to forget the massive debt carried. If GM goes bankrupt, the creditors get first dibs. There will be nothing left.

This talk of bankruptcy being a good thing is lunacy. The folly of the naive. If GM goes bankrupt, they go under; end of story.

And on top of it GMs debts and liabilities are so massive. Restructuring would be out of the Question. If GM goes Bancrupt. Its an Auction.

A world without GM wouldn't be worth living in. :(

But it seems there are certainly a lot of non GM enthusiasts who would wish it so that's for sure. What they don't realize is that while they are off humping the nearest import, they are throwing away the US economy. If anything, we deserve a world that is with nothing BUT General Motors.

Americans, Europeans, Asians, whoever should be languishing in GM products. Forget the Honda or Toyota crap, forget the Mercedes, BMW, the Volvo, Peugot, Citroen, Porche overrated garbage. All this communist crap needs to be desimated and the world needs to understand that GM is THE ONLY brand worth buying. And anyone who doesn't is a buffoon, most likely a blind, CR/C&D/Motortrend humping MORON. Even the Fords, the Nazi Chrysler corp should be eventually wiped off the map if came down to it. They are merely leaching off of GM superiority and claiming to be as improved as well. That is certainly not the case. There products aren't even 10% as impressive as our own General :angry:

The world needs to support GM, without it, we might as well just walk... :CG_all:

Edited by Domesticated

Here we go again... More anti-GM bull$h!, opinion propaganda articles, just 'for the heck of it'...

I have been wondering. As an automotive journalist covering GM for nearly three decades, I've noted a complacency that's set in during automotive downturns. Detroiters in the auto industry recognize their business is a roller-coaster ride, and even though they're in the valley now, they believe they'll be riding high on the hill again. What goes down must come up, they seem to think.

One of the FIRST things you learn in Business School is that BUSINESS IS CYCLICAL.

But the Fortune piece, as well as other articles, points out the devastating effects of a GM bankruptcy. Those aftershocks make it unfathomable to contemplate for those inside and outside of GM. For starters, about 1.1 million people — more than the entire population of the city of Detroit — rely on GM for their income. That only counts retirees and employees, not all of the jobs connected in some way to GM, from the supplier of parts to the short-order cook at the local diner. Entire communities depend on GM plants for their tax base. Charitable causes receive funding from GM. Indeed, GM is a critical cog in the economic machine of the U.S. and many other places.

Nobody cares..... Californians, do you care?!?!?! New York city do you care?!?!?!? Southeastern US, do you car?!?!?!?! NO!!!! NO ONE CARES!!!! Do these people not get it???? Times have CHANGED, americans DO NOT care about the well being of their fellow americans OR the country in general. SO MUCH SO, that these 'educated' 'economist' people are screaming about us trying to protect our national security by NOT SELLING our ports to an organization that sits at the side of terrorism... NO ONE CARES!!! Out of sight, OUT of MIND! If a GM Detroiter loses his job, then FINE he can come to Cali and SERVE me drinks for $5 an hour, Screw his, retirement, his future, his kids college. NOT MY PROBLEM! If a Ford Detroiter loses his job the GOOD, he can move to NY and deliver my UBER LIBERAL Wall Street Journal to me for $5 an hour. His kids, his future, his family???? YEAH right!! If I cared I wouldn't have "CREATED" those stories that ran his company out of business in the first place! HEY, he can always get a job as a TOYOTA MINION.... Oh, wait, they don't employee but 1/16th of what GM much less Ford does.... Well, then maybe he can get a job at WAL-MART in customer service. This is america afterall, land of the servicers/home of the sell outs.

FOR GOD'S SAKE GM!!!!!!!! WHY do you NOT advertise this or at least INFORM the general public what is at stake ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ALL I ever hear is advertisements touting how "Toyota employees 380,000 americans through it's factories and suppliers" WHY DOES GM NOT HAVE A SIMILAR CAMPAIGN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

As the Fortune article notes, "The company remains so central to the economy, so sprawling in its reach, that going into Chapter 11 would be ominous almost beyond contemplation."

An epic victory!!!

Seriously though... my sentiment for these 'americans' has gotten so bad that I almost hope they GET THEIR wish. See, that's my mentality; if you know you're going to crash the plane, then you aim at the biggest platoon of enemy soldiers you see and full speed ahead for maximum damage.

***And, what exactly was the point of that article?????***

To promote that life IS possible without GM? (The financial publications have already done a good job of that, making american ever more apathetic and naive)

Is this bankruptcy story like a game of musical chairs with the media?  You know, they pass the story around while the music plays and then when the music stops the media conglomerate with the story still in its hands has to publish it!

Perhap I am getting jaded and cynical as I get older, but truly I am getting just exhausted with the media saturating the market with whatever THEY decide is the cause of the week, month,  or whatever!

MOre and more I am convinced that the media no longer reports the news, they create it. 

Let's face it: if the media keeps printing stories like this one, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It will scare so many prospective customers and so many investors that nobody will buy anything from GM.

Or is that Wallstreet's hidden agenda?

That's the goal my friend.

The Rick opened the door by ASKING that the media not twist GM's arm and talk about bankruptcy because it could hamper sales. And the media has been twisting ever since. Eventually they WILL convince the consumer that GM either is or WILL inevitabley be in Chapter 11 and 75% of consumers said they will not buy from a bankrupt automaker. You do the math.

Thats Laughable. You know the only way down that road is nuclear.  GM would be left a parceled off bit player.

GMAP would be taken over by SAIC entirely.  GMNA would cease to Exist. GME would be propped up by the local governments short term. GM South America/ Africa would be sold off.

There's no Surving the Nuclear option for GM.

It's a suicide worth committing....

Because GM WILL NOT survive if things with the UAW continue as they are.