Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2011 Kia Optima EX interior impression

Simply put, fantastic.

You're in shock as to how it can be such a nice cabin for 23 grand. The leather is nice. The plastic is 'very good'. Colors (tan interior), textures, nothing stands out as a sore thumb. Its a markedly better cabin than the cousin Hyundai Sonata, even.

Room and space, all good. A bit of a lowrider, but it is a sedan.

The dash layout is simply refreshing in the current sea of murk. A nice modern interpretation of what a wraparound dash would be in 2011. The radio and climate control take a little work to remember but it's all laid out nicely.

Honestly, I am shocked. And I am supposed to now look at the Cruze's sticker and not bust out into belly laughs?

It may just be short of the Regal's interior. However, the design of the Kia's dash is so markedly different than the Regal's and many folks may find it preferential. The Kia is much more of an intimate cockpit, if you can believe that. Driver oriented dashboards are back.

The interior is even a step above its other newer models, the Sorento and Sportage.

Eventually over time I will get in a test drive of this and fill in the rest. I re-tested a Sonata GLS manual today and expect that the Optima is pretty much the same. Which is to say, perfectly good for this class.

It's so much better executed than the Sonata. I had read that Hyundai pushed for the Optima to be held back because they didn't want the Sonata upstaged by the Kia. After seeing the Kia, I would have to say their fears were absolutely believable.

Unreal. You could tack 5 grand more on these stickers and still get people interested in this car.

Edited by regfootball

Oh I hadn't seen a tan version image before, looks pretty good. My impression of the black one was similar, only real nitpick would be the dash top could be a little softer. I do prefer the cockpit style over a more traditional Sonata style.

2906038940048713253S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by frogger

That Optima is going to cause a lot of tense meetings in a lot of other manufacturer's board rooms.

I'll be honest, the current Malibu has the exterior design to compete still, with an all new or heavily improved interior and powertrains I think it would be able to stay close with this car if the pricing were kept in check. The spy photos of the new Malibu make me think CHevy is in big trouble.

I think the Regal's heel here is with options the Regal moves up the price chart fast. But the Regal interior can justify higher prices.....it's just a bit better in quality. But it's darn close.

I mean here is the deal, this car is as commodious as a TAURUS and the cheapest Taurus is like 7 grand more.

It's insane. You look at this rakish car with a really well done and engaging interior and while you know it's not a luxury car, you sit in defiance and look at it and say, how the eff can they do this for 23 grand? And it gets 35 mpg? And its got a 5 year warranty?

Hyundai / Kia is on a full frontal assault with a lot of their models. In the showroom today they had a Kia SOrento with a lease deal......199 a month for the EX front drive and like 1500 down. The customers know that Kia and Hyundai are passing their cheaper overhead down to them. And now the designs and performance are getting good.

With the mood of the country such that people feel they have been getting the wrong end of the stick on a lot of things, Kia etc. is there to offer you more than you expect. That is the makings of a movement.

Oh I hadn't seen a tan version image before, looks pretty good. My impression of the black one was similar, only real nitpick would be the dash top could be a little softer. I do prefer the cockpit style over a more traditional Sonata style.

2906038940048713253S600x600Q85.jpg

some parts of the dash were soft, but most of it was not overly soft, but it still looked good. To be honest, a lot of the plastic in the Regal in lower places is no better.

A personal favorite of mine here, i love where the speakers are in the door, higher up.

Edited by regfootball