06 Lucerne / XM Radio

I just purchased a 2006 Lucerne CXL with everything (ALMOST)! I have the 6 disk CD player but no XM radio. Is it a possibility that GM might have had the foresight to make this radio upgradable? It has the CAT button for XM radio; when you press it, states XM feature. Can you purchase some type of module to upgrade it to XM without all the add on crap? I am sure it is not, but it would be a great feature for those of us who purchase off the lot and then want to upgrade the radio in the dash to XM because the dealer was not bright enough to order XM on it. If anyone has a recommendation without all the add on's I would appreciate it tremendously. It has the antenna with Onstar already.

Thanks! <_<

Well you can order the XM radio upgrade kit from the Buick website...

http://www.buickparts.net/product_info.php?products_id=833

That would cover all that you need to keep you stock radio and just upgrade it so you can recieve xm radio. Hope that would help its a little pricey though but yeah its worth it so you can keep your stock radio without all the extra crap.

Edited by reeferman

Well you can order the XM radio upgrade kit from the Buick website...

http://www.buickparts.net/product_info.php?products_id=833

That would cover all that you need to keep you stock radio and just upgrade it so you can recieve xm radio.  Hope that would help its a little pricey though but yeah its worth it so you can keep your stock radio without all the extra crap.

The site you entered says it is for the "RAINIER"!

http://www.tweeter.com/sm-terk-xm-direct-r...pi-2055206.html Well since your radio is xm ready this should be all you need it is for gm vehicals. I would contact your dealer though because they should have the upgrade kit and will install it unless you are good with car radios but to install this yourself wouldn't be much trouble at all. Hope this helps Edited by reeferman

http://www.tweeter.com/sm-terk-xm-direct-r...pi-2055206.html    Well since your radio is xm ready this should be all you need it is for gm vehicals.  I would contact your dealer though because they should have the upgrade kit and will install it unless you are good with car radios but to install this yourself wouldn't be much trouble at all. Hope this helps

I have contacted the dealer and asked if there was an upgrade kit and also the buick parts online that you suggested and they all scratch their heads and seem to know nothing about an XM upgrade kit! :stupid:

I have contacted the dealer and asked if there was an upgrade kit and also the buick parts online that you suggested and they all scratch their heads and seem to know nothing about an XM upgrade kit! :stupid:

Well if you really want it i gave u a site with one for universal gm order it put it in yourself or bring it to your local stereo installation center and I'm sure they will put it in if you pay them to.

• 4 weeks later...

GM usually offers the upgrade kit for EVERY new vehicle, because all of them have radios already set up for XM...you just need the actual sat. radio module and antenna plugged in (and the service activated) for it to work.

Not sure why your dealer is so dumbfounded, as this is usually common knowledge at any GM place...and really pretty easy to do.

There's always aftermarket sat. radio parts too, just as posted above by reeferman, and that is the EXACT same kit...probably for less.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a 2006 Lucerne CXL with everything (ALMOST)!  I have the 6 disk CD player but no XM radio.  Is it a possibility that GM might have had the foresight to make this radio upgradable?  It has the CAT button for XM radio; when you press it, states XM feature.  Can you purchase some type of module to upgrade it to XM without all the add on crap?  I am sure it is not, but it would be a great feature for those of us who purchase off the lot and then want to upgrade the radio in the dash to XM because the dealer was not bright enough to order XM on it.  If anyone has a recommendation without all the add on's I would appreciate it tremendously.  It has the antenna with Onstar already.

Thanks!  <_<

:yes: This is an update to my own post. First, NO there is at the present time no available upgrade to make the 2006 Buick Lucerne factory installed radio XM capable. Secondly, YES there is an upgrade in process at this present time and should be available in late July or August according to my contact at myradiostore.com. The Lucerne has a new radio format (not class II) and the old XMDGM100 upgrade will not work. Thanks for all who gave replies.

Save your money and buy the Panasonic AirWare XM. My other half gave me one for my birthday and I got rid of all my Cds. The AirWare can hook up directly through an Ipod connection, or broadcast FM directly to the radio in your Buick. In Toronto, I don't even use the cradle/antenna DC connector - the reception is fine without it. On long trips, or outside the city (XM has a repeater station in many major cities) I use the antenna kit.

The advantage is that the unit acts as a Walkman (just plug in the headphones, it already has a rechargeable battery) AND a docking station for your home stereo.

I am totally hooked on this machine. It is EXTREMELY rare that a product actually delivers as promised, let alone EXCEEDS your expectations, but this unit has blown me away.

Car units are fine, but you are then forced to only listen to it in your car, and if you get hooked (like I am), then you will have to pay for multiple subscriptions to then get a unit for your home. Skip the hassle and just get the portable.

Oh, and it comes with a remote so you can sit on your ass and skip through the 120 channels at home!