HHR in latest Motor Trend mag

BuddyP

Latest Motor Trend has article comparing the HHR, Mazda 3s, Dodge Caliber and Toyota Matrix. They placed the Mazda first, now I will say that all in all the Mazda is a pretty nice overall vehicle. however I was very disappointed to see the place the Matrix 2nd and the HHR 3rd. After all, isn't the Vibe GM's worst vehicle as far as quality goes?

I want to write a letter into MT, can anybody give me the links showing the Vibes poor quality ratings for me to shove in their faces?

As was pointed out in the truck forum, the Vibe is from Nummi and the Matrix is from Canada. But the NUMMI plant also builds the Corolla and the Tacoma. I am not sure how their quality is rated. I took this article as being a great example of the way the media can skew things and can make a point without giving all the details. Why didn't they use a Vibe instead of a Matrix? Why didn't they state that as an added bonus for those that want to buy American the same vehicle can be had from Pontiac, even if the reference was only made in passing.

I have always felt that if you were to take esentially identical vehicles and slap different badges on them, bias would come into play. It happened with the Nova/Corolla and it happens with the Vibe/Matrix. When the V/M debuted, the Vibe was generally considered to be a bit nicer looking that the Matrix. Plus, we all know you can probably get a better deal at a Pontiac dealership 9 out of 10 times. But alas, Matrix soldiers on and the Vibe reduces to one trim level. This should teach GM, you can not match the competition you better out gun them by a mile.

Typical MT :bs: They're just trying *ONCE AGAIN* to throw water on the flames of one of GM's hot sellers.

I would expect nothing less....

And I assume that the Caliber placed 4th?!?!? (Yeah right!!!) Dodge HAS a hit in the Caliber, I'm ALREADY seeing them a lot around here.

The HHR was placed 3rd simply because of the badge... I find it hard to believe that they didn't just go ahead and place the Toyota above the FORD OWNED Mazda 3 (Which I like a lot) But I guess that would be VERY hard to justify.

As for the Vibe.... Silly people, don't you know that the tie up is only used to belittle and humiliate GM, and is NOT to be used for their advantage. (Especially in this case, that'd piss Toyota off to bad, then the check would get lost in the mail)

SO, what's the first thing you read in a GM or Ford article when they're writing up a car that's on the same architecture as another division????? It's: "Well, you can get this same car for XXX cheaper from GM's own Chevrolet." This is NO DOUBT done to create in-fighting and cannabalization. But when it comes to the Matrix/Vibe, FUNNY you didn't see that same sort of statement now isn't it?

The Caliber is an ugly pile of crap that has so much plastic I think I would sell out the Armor All section at the local auto store. But yet anything is better than a GM car or truck according to the modern day reporter. Move to Japan and get a room with them!!

just because the Caliber is selling well, doesn't mean its a good car. (not saying its bad either, because I havent' had a chance to expect anything but the rear frame rails)

Being a first year vehicle, its gonna have a bunch of problems that will probaly keep its ratings low.

Edited by Dragon

just because the Caliber is selling well, doesn't mean its a good car. (not saying its bad either, because I havent' had a chance to expect anything but the rear frame rails)

Being a first year vehicle, its gonna have a bunch of problems that will probaly keep its ratings low.

Too bad none of the Japan Inc. cars seem to suffer that fate in the rags....LOL.

I don't know why but when I was on my way home last weekend from up north the local "Ford" dealership had some Calibers sitting out front. I did a double take to see if it was a split dealership like Ford/Chrysler or something but it wasn't. They had them all postioned like they sometimes do out front to say hey look at me. I even said something to my girlfriend like "thats strange". Dealer trade?....

I don't have the article in front of me (at school) but I remember MT having a problem with not enough power, cargo room/cargo options (like tie downs, etc) in the Caliber as well as how it drove, I believe. They liked the HHR because of how much room it had but only when it was driven at a leisurely pace. The Matrix got points for cargo options (adjustable tie down tracks) and overall driveability (you could live with it in every day driving) and the Mazda3 got points for pretty much everything.