Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Which side?

A few years ago, someone I know took up the project of researching why we drive on the right side of the road or on the left. The initial concept was to take the idea back as far as the tradition can be traced. And he did.

Why do we drive on the right or left side of the road?

(I'll chime in later with what this researcher found)

A few years ago, someone I know took up the project of researching why we drive on the right side of the road or on the left. The initial concept was to take the idea back as far as the tradition can be traced. And he did.

Why do we drive on the right or left side of the road?

(I'll chime in later with what this researcher found)

well i know the reason the driver is on the inside of the street is for the passengers sake... taxies and what not you want to passengers to be safe...

also the reason the driver is in the middle of the road has to do with visibity... he can see vehicles to his right better, thats why there is the "right of way" so if you see someone to your right, you let them go first, because they might have a harder time seeing you...

Edited by Newbiewar

In general, it seems countries that were colonized by the British or have a historical relationship to the British (Australia, New Zealand, India, etc) drive on the left/sit on the right while other countries (US, Canada, France, Italy,China, etc) drive on the right/sit on the left...that's the distinction I've noticed.

Driving on the right/sitting on the right (i.e. a UK car in continental Europe) or vice versa (a continental European car in the UK) would be awkard, I think..as far as the visibility.

I have an acquaintance that has an R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R and he's said it took a while to get comfortable driving in the US in a RHD car..

OK... I understand the British heritage making countries RHD - but where did the original LHD thing start? ...and why is Japan like Britain???

Driving on the right side of the road, according to what I've read, came from Napoleon who marked his territory by making everyone drive on the right. Driving on the left is natural, apparently...therefore Japan is in the right by driving on the left.

I have read in ancient England the knights would joust holding their poles in their right hands and would travel down the left side of the track, so the villagers decided they would do the same thing and travel down the left side of the road. Then when the English came to the U.S., they wanted to do things differently than they did in England so the traveled down the right side of the road. I don't know if that's right or not, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Sounds plausible...I'd read the jousting thing somewhere else also. I could see that at the time of the American Revolution colonists walking on the opposite side of the road (right side) to be different from the British...

I have read in ancient England the knights would joust holding their poles in their right hands and would travel down the left side of the track, so the villagers decided they would do the same thing and travel down the left side of the road. Then when the English came to the U.S., they wanted to do things differently than they did in England so the traveled down the right side of the road. I don't know if that's right or not, but I figured I would throw it out there.

I had simiilar information, but mine went back to ancient Roman times.