ATTN: Rock Fans...

Alright... want to do me a favor? I want you to listen to this one song and give me your opinion on it. It's "I won't see you tonight, Part 1" by Avenged Sevenfold. Do it however you can. Here's a link to MSN Music if you want to do it that way: MSN: A7X: Song #9 It might cost money. :D

Anyways, this is because I absolutely love this song. It's the best rock song I've heard since Guns N Roses' time. It also happens that all of A7X's music is some the best rock I've heard since their time with beautifully written music. The only downfall may be the lyrics. They're not for everybody. If you can't tell by the name of the band, they're somewhat Punk/Goth... especially on "Waking the Fallen", the album from which that song comes from. Also, this ablum has alot of screaming, and that song is the only one without any. Otherwise, the vocals are pretty good. I'm not too bad of a singeer (but don't belong on Idol or anything), and I can't hit some of the notes that M. Shadows can. :P

So, if you don't mind the screaming or the lyrics (you can easily look them up, if you want), I think you'll love this band and I definitely would recommend getting "Waking the Fallen" or their newest album "City of Evil" (which is exempt from any screaming, thankfully, but the music isn't as great). Again, the music rocks and is written pretty damn well.

Edited by blackviper8891

That song you posted sounded pretty good...I was impressed. I'm not a fan of the screaming vocals on the other songs though.

It seems like there are a lot of bands with great melody popping up lately, but they all resort to growly vocals. The growling is what ruins the song. In some classic metal songs, there are times when very ragged vocals are appropriate and really work well to bring out some emotion in the song, but why so many new bands feel the need to growl on every song except during the chorus is beyond me.

For example, I've really gotten into Soilwork...they have awesome melody and musical ability, and the guy has a great voice. But there are times where I just feel like fast-fowarding through the song because he starts "graah, rugh, ahhg" and it just sounds like crap. If anyone knows of any bands that play like Soilwork without the growly vocals, let me know because I would be interested in checking them out.

I think I saw those guys at the Warped Tour. I wasn't especially impressed, IIRC. All these screaming bands sound pretty much the same to me, anyway... the only one I really like is Alexisonfire.

Yeah... the screaming, as I said, is Waking the Fallen's biggest downfall. If you take away the screaming, the music is awesome. For me, however, I can look over the screaming... I don't really mind it, but don't necessarily like it. Also, as I said, their newest album, City of Evil is absent of any screaming, thankfully. Again, though, the music isn't as great, but not all that bad either.

Anyways, Yes Ocn, I'm still into SOAD... they still occuppy my avatar. :P I like to sing to that song. Other than a few high notes, I can nail the whole thing. :lol::D Alright, it's obvious that I actually suck at singing... but I'm not entirely terrible!

Yeah... the screaming, as I said, is Waking the Fallen's biggest downfall. If you take away the screaming, the music is awesome. For me, however, I can look over the screaming... I don't really mind it, but don't necessarily like it. Also, as I said, their newest album, City of Evil is absent of any screaming, thankfully. Again, though, the music isn't as great, but not all that bad either.

Yea, that's like Children of Bodom. They are a heavy metal/death metal band, and while their vocals consist of screaming, the instrumentals are amazing and they have a fantastic sound.

Here's some other new bands I've discoverd within the last few months that are pretty awesome...I think most of them have myspace sites with songs uploaded.

Edguy - GREAT melody...these are a talented group of musicians. Don't let the name of the band throw you off; when I first saw it, it made me think of a blues rock band with a bunch of old, bald guys...but no, these guys are a mixture of progressive rock and heavy metal. No growly/screeching vocals at all. Many of the songs have an epic quality to them. Check out the songs 'Savage Union' and 'Holy Water'...excellent stuff.

Blistered Earth - These guys growl occasionally, but not all the time. They sound very much like early Metallica. Awesome twin guitar solos, great drums and melody. A lot of double bass going on at times. This is what Metallica should be like today...not what they turned out to be post-Black Album.

Power of Omens - Very old school Queensryche sound. Big and epic. The vocalist has a great voice, and the melodies are powerful. This may not be most people's cup of tea, but I like it.